Reactions All Journalism Students Have To Bad Grammar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Last week, I met a very attractive boy at a party. We talked for a little bit and had a lot in common. Unfortunately, I had to go, because my friends were leaving the party. Like the typical college girl I am, I gave him my number so we could continue our conversation. He seemed like a very nice guy, so I was eager for him to text me. Sure enough, the next day I received a text. I began reading the text and suddenly got chills. I stared at my phone for a minute in shock at what I just read. “Hi Becca! What’re you up, too!” The amount of grammatical error in that text made his attractiveness plummet. Simple grammar is such an easy concept to grasp that it just baffles meespecially because I am a journalism student that in college, some students still do not understand it. I hope this can help give you an understanding of how I feel when I read some of these mistakes.

You’re vs. your:

“What is you’re favorite color?”

“Your my best friend.”

Their vs. there vs. they’re:

“I left my jacket on the table over their.”

“There such a cute couple.”

“Look how cute they’re dog is.”

Too vs. to vs. two

“Too years ago, I went on vacation to the beach.”

“I’m to tired too be awake this early.”

“I am going two the mall later.”

Seen vs. saw

“I seen a man riding a unicycle the other day.”

“Have you saw the new movie Fifty Shades of Grey yet?”

I hope if you are one of those people sending these types of texts, you take the initiative to freshen up your grammar skills. You don’t want to be that person who makes the journalism students lose brain cells from texting you.

What are your grammar pet peeves? Let us know @hercampusohiou!

(Gifs from giphy.com)

I am a freshman at Ohio University. I am majoring in Journalism News and Information.
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).