President of Tau Beta Sigma: Blayne Weddington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Blayne Weddington is a graduating senior and music education major at Ohio University. Blayne is a member of the Marching 110 and the President of the Alpha Delta chapter of Tau Beta Sigma.

For those of you who don’t know, Tau Beta Sigma is a national co-ed honorary band sorority and has been around since it was founded in 1946. Its mission is to “provide exceptional service to collegiate bands and promote equality and diversity, including empowering women in the band profession. [They] cultivate leadership, educational achievement, music appreciation and community development.”

Something you should know about TBS is that it is a service sorority and not a social sorority, such as Alpha Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi or Delta Zeta. Focusing on the importance of the bands at Ohio University is the number one priority.

Weddington and her sorority family. Blayne Weddington (top), Devan Smith (Second Row, Left), Heidi Kranz (Second Row, right), Evann Figueroa (First Row, Left), Noah Tucker (First Row, Right). 

“It’s a powerful experience, and it teaches us a lot. We learn how to plan and execute a project, and enjoy the outcomes when our goal of service is attained,” Weddington said. “And let’s be honest, nothing is better than hanging out with people that love band as much as you do.”

As a freshman, Weddington was nervous about going off to a large university, so she felt the best way to overcome this anxiety was to join one of the largest organizations on campus, the Marching 110. She saw all of the hard work and dedication that each member put into every rehearsal and performance and was convinced to continue that dedication in Tau Beta Sigma (TBS).

Weddington initially joined to dedicate herself to bettering the music organizations at Ohio University. She “wanted the ability to serve the 110, the Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band and all other ensembles that I’ve had the joy of playing in these last four years of college.”

Weddington has held several other leadership positions with TBS before she became president of the organization. As president she is faced with many challenges, but maintains her professionalism and still builds great relationships with the members. Some of her biggest struggles include the confusion associated with communicating among the sisters, but the organization is learning to “grow as technology grows.”

To better promote the School of Music and other music organizations on campus, Tau Beta Sigma will be sponsoring the 2nd annual White and Blue Ball. This year the event will feature both of OU’s jazz ensembles at Central Venue on March 12th. The Ball is intended to raise money for new methods instruments for the music education department through ticket sales and a silent auction. Weddington is hoping to see a greater turnout this year so the organization can provide the funds necessary for the School of Music students.

“People should know that TBS is a group of young ladies and gentleman that will always put the service of other before themselves, “ Weddington said. “We are dedicated to our cause, and if anyone in the band program at OU, or the Athens community is in need we are always willing to come and help.”

To find out more about Tau Beta Sigma or to purchase tickets for the White and Blue Ball, please text Heidi Kranz at 814-381-8523.

Sophomore Strategic Communication Major. Lover of athletics and nerding it up in marching band. #Marching110 World traveler and future PR specialist. Pretty decent at speaking Chinese. On my way to saving the world, one PR crisis at a time.
Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)