Pop Wise: Hollywood’s Summer Love Lessons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Celebrity relationships come and go like flies these days. But somehow this summer managed to pull out all the stops. From a power couple’s divorce to the cheating scandal heard round the world, a slew of celebrities were tested in love. Despite such dramas, a few happy moments shined too, including the rise of a new it couple and engagements galore. Here’s what we’ve learned from the best and worst celebrity love shockers of the summer!

Katie and Tom call it quits
Lesson: Even “perfect” couples have problems.

No one could have predicted the end of the dynamic duo that was Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. From Tom’s infamous couch jumping proclamation of love to the pair’s devotion for little Suri, it seemed nothing could break these two apart. While the couple may have appeared smitten in public, there were obviously troubles simmering under the surface. The takeaway: If you’re having issues with your boyfriend, don’t be afraid to admit it. No couple is perfect, but the best ones can work through their problems together.

Kristen Stewart cheats big time
Lesson: Cheating is more trouble than it’s worth.

When the world found out about Kristen’s tryst with her Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders, the news completely blew up in her face. Though it’s still unclear of whether the pair will stay together, one thing’s certain. Robert Pattinson will surely never trust her again. If you feel the need to cheat, then something must be off with your relationship. Instead of going behind your guy’s back, be honest to his face about why you’re unhappy. Cheating will only get you into more trouble than you bargained for.

Taylor gets cozy with a Kennedy
Lesson: Be open to a guy that’s different.

He’s a descendant of our country’s greatest political family. She’s a country pop superstar. Taylor Swift and Conor Kennedy couldn’t be any different, which is why they might actually just be right for each other. As Ms. Swift’s taught us through her many varied beaus, breaking the mold of boyfriend types can be fun and exciting. Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and get to know a guy who’s the complete opposite of you. Not only will you learn so much more from each other, but you’ll also share completely new experiences together.

Miley and Liam get engaged
Lesson: Take the time to figure out what you want.

Only time will tell the fate of this young couple, but it’s clear Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth didn’t just rush into the idea of marriage overnight. After filming The Last Song together, the two embarked on a relationship that even Liam admitted to People got pretty serious. After nearly a year of dating, they split briefly, giving both of them time to sort out their true feelings. Now reunited and happy as ever, their courtship proves you need to discover what you want out of a relationship before things get too heavy.

Jennifer Aniston’s beau proposes
Lesson: The right one will find you eventually.

Back in 2005, Jennifer’s divorce to Brad Pitt seemed like the end of the world. While he moved on with Angelina Jolie, she just couldn’t settle down with a good guy. But things fell into place when she finally met her now fiancé Justin Theroux. She even called him her “protector” in a recent issue of Marie Claire Australia. Though Jennifer wasn’t always lucky in love, her story shows you shouldn’t get discouraged when a relationship doesn’t work out. It just means the one who makes you completely happy has yet to come along.

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.