Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Ohio U News

The Moms You Saw During Mom's Weekend

By Taylor Stano
April 8, 2014 - 3:48pm

“What happens in Athens, stays in Athens” is a quote that is most relevant to one popular weekend at Ohio University: Moms Weekend. Between April 4 and 6, a multitude of moms found their way to Athens, Ohio to spend time with their favorite bobcats. Some moms came to Athens because they just wanted to relax by having a low-key time with their kids. On the other hand, other moms made the trip to OU because they wanted to have a not-so-low key time (aka wild nights at the bar reliving their college years) with their bobcats.    Since hundreds of moms stormed the streets of Athens, chances are that people came across various mom personalities. Here’s a brief list of the different types of moms people may have witnessed over Moms Weekend.  ...

Top Five Hottest MLB Players

By Amy Baetjer

Lammily

By Kirby Smith
March 26, 2014 - 11:56pm

Being one of the most popular children toys ever made, a collector’s item, and one of the biggest icons for beauty, Barbie has had a huge influence ever since she hit the shelves. Barbie can be recognized everywhere with her bright blonde hair and long, slender body. However, it has always been a debate whether or not Barbie’s iconic image gives young girls the wrong idea about beauty. Research has found that if Barbie were a real person, her measurements would be completely unrealistic.  She is estimated to be about 5 foot 9 inches with an 18-inch waist, 33-inch hips, and would weigh only 110 pounds. If a woman had these body proportions in real life, she would have to walk on all fours and all of her organs would not fit in her body....

Eat Wings, Raise Funds for HCOU!

By Meredith Broadwater
March 25, 2014 - 3:33pm

ATHENS, OH -- On Wednesday, March 26, Her Campus Ohio U will be hosting a fundraiser at Buffalo Wild Wings from 6 to 8 p.m. to raise money for future events scheduled on campus. In order for HCOU to receive 10% of Buffalo Wild Wing’s sales, attendees need to present a ticket to his or her server when payment for their meal is collected. Tickets can be printed from Her Campus Ohio U’s Facebook page, or picked up outside of the restaurant the day and time of the event. Her Campus Ohio U is an online magazine for women at Ohio University. A versatile site, HCOU is for every lady-bobcat on campus! The staff is the process of planning more events for the students at OU, and need funds to hold these events. ...

International Women's Day Festival 2014

By Carly Maurer
March 18, 2014 - 12:44pm

March is Nation Women’s History Month and each year women of the United Nations create a theme to celebrate on International Women’s Day. This year’s theme is “equality for women is progress for all.”  The Ohio University Women’s Center hosted its sixth International Women’ Day Festival Sunday March 15 in the Baker University Center Ballroom. The festival highlighted the achievements of women and allowed participants to reflect on women’s current status in society. A large part of the celebration was discussing what can be done to further elevate the status of women. READ MORE

Six Lessons Learned from The Bachelor

By Emily Barber
March 14, 2014 - 8:16pm

Six Lessons Learned from The Bachelor   Laughs, tears, anger and love - the season finale of The Bachelor on ABC saw it all. The love story of Juan Pablo Galavis, and his 27 girlfriends, ended when the Venezuelan soccer player ended up with Nikki, a pediatric nurse from Kearney, Missouri. As always, there were mass amounts of drama over the course of the show, but they provided some insight for us viewers at home. Read on for some lessons we learned from Season 18 of The Bachelor.   1. First impressions are important READ MORE

Spring Break Bucket List

By Rachel Cassidy
March 1, 2014 - 7:58pm

For their precious week off, thousands of OU students will be migrating south for Spring Break, while plenty of others will be going home, likely not by choice. Regardless of where you’re heading, here is a list of things to do on spring break to make this one the best yet!   If you’ll be flocking to somewhere tropical:   Do something adventurous: if you’ll be trying sushi for the first time, or doing something crazy like parasailing, getting out of your comfort zone will make this spring break one to remember.   Have a spring break fling: whether you hookup with a fellow Bobcat or meet someone new, spring break is the perfect time to make a love connection; who knows, he could be your future husband! READ...

14 Signs You Go to OU

By Meredith Broadwater
February 23, 2014 - 2:21pm

1. Family members ask where you go to school and they just look at you like: Because they think all you do is 2. You see a friend at the top of Jeff hill and you’re like 3. You hear there’s an armed fugitive on campus so automatically everyone goes READ MORE

Women in the Olympics

By Emily Daffron
February 16, 2014 - 12:57am

With feminism—yes, the “f” word—on the rise within many young college students, it’s no surprise that the media is joining in and portraying women in a positive way now more than ever. With the Winter Olympics in Sochi, there really is no better time than to look at women’s accomplishments athletically and how the media is *pause for effect* portraying women in positive light. Since the very first Winter Olympic Games in Chamonix, France in 1924, men have outnumbered women in terms of competitors. Even since then, ski jumping was an event only reserved to men—until this year’s 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia where women are competing. READ MORE

Single on Valentines Day

By Paige Bennett
February 8, 2014 - 7:15pm

Fingers intertwine as a couple strolls into a dimly lit restaurant. Lips silently brush against lips. A young woman excitedly accepts a soft plush bear and a shiny red box filled with assorted chocolates from her lover. If you are single, you are likely dreading seeing all of these intimate moments between lovers on Valentine’s Day. Instead of spending the day scowling at happy couples, spend some time with yourself or your friends. This may be your best Valentine’s Day yet! READ MORE