My Freshman Year Expectations For Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

(Story by Danyelle Jackson) 

From living on your own, more freedom and being in a whole new environment, freshman year for college students is a big transition. One of the biggest transitions definitely is the academics. The classes are bigger, there is a lot of material you a required to learn in a short period of time and many classes are not mandatory. As we all know, those dreaded finals are rapidly approaching and here are my expectations for my first finals week.

Procrastination

Procrastination is a word that I am familiar with. Even though it is ideal to begin studying many weeks prior to exam, between Thanksgiving Break and being worn out from prior weeks of classes, it will probably be hard to find that motivation. My “inner me” will be telling myself that holding off one more day will not be that bad.

(Photo courtesy of coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com)

No Sleep

After I procrastinate for a couple days (or weeks) there will come a time when I have to actually buckle down and study. When is say “study,” of course I mean cramming weeks of material that I know I should have reviewed earlier. This will probably lead to no sleep as I tell myself those hours that I would be sleeping can be productive hours of studying.

(Photo courtesy of withoutsnoring.com)

Caffeine

With minimal sleep, I’ll have to find some source of energy or I will be laying in a pile of papers in the middle Alden. Coffee will be my right hand and my best friend as I push through all-nighters of constant studying.

(Photo courtesy of thrillist.com)

Alden Library My New HOUme

I’ll spend a lot of time in Alden Library during the week as I know studying in my room won’t work because my bed is constantly calling my name and would be where I will spend most of my time.

Stress and Anxiety

Finally, I’m anticipating stress and anxiety by the end of the week as I regret my procrastination and wish I had extra time to go over that last chapter. I’ll probably stress after realizing that I will not be able to go over every chapter and must choose which material is the most important to study and I’ll also have the anxiety of not knowing if I study what was necessary and the format of the exam.

(Photo courtesy of drscottlewis.com​)

Basically, I am terrified for my first college finals as a freshman. Hopefully all my expectations are not completely accurate and I have a good outcome. It will all be worth it once I can get a month break from my first semester of college.

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!