My Experience Getting An IUD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This information is purely taken from my experience. Listen and take your gynecologist’s advice, they know what is best for you and your body.

Let’s start with the basics. What is an IUD? IUD stands for intrauterine device and it is the most effective for of birth control with a 99.9% prevention rate. There are a few different types of IUDs, but after doing research and talking to my doctor I decided on the Mirena. According to Bayer, the Mirena is a small, plastic device that is placed in your uterus and releases small amounts of hormones to prevent pregnancy for up to 5 years.

(Gif courtesy of giphy.com)

When trying to decide if this was the birth control for me a few things stood out. First, I liked the idea of not having to worry about it at all. After it is in, you don’t have to worry about it for 5 years. There is a check up around the 4-6 week mark, but after that you are good. Second, I liked how I could never have a slip-up. I will never worry about forgetting to take a pill or having to get refills. Finally, I liked how the hormones are localized, the IUD is placed in your uterus, exactly the spot it needs to be without the hormones traveling throughout your body. Like all forms of birth control, there are risks involved and your doctor will explain them in detail. Although in my mind, the benefits completely outweigh the possible risks.

(Photo courtesy of mirena-us.com)

Now onto the actual insertion. I have only had the IUD for a short 48 hours so I have no idea how this will work for me in the long-term, but I thought I would share the process of getting it inserted because I know I was a bit worried about that myself. Remember that everyone is different, but for me the Mirena was inserted in less than 60 seconds and I had very minimal pain. Before I went in for my appointment my gynecologist told me to take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol and that was the only painkiller used. I had heard horror stories of people being in excruciating pain and do yourself a favor- don’t look up IUD reviews on YouTube, it will only freak you out. For me, the pain was just some minor cramping. Don’t make pain the number one reason you don’t go through with it. Everyone’s body is completely different so there is no prediction for how you will feel, but in my head at least, having a reliable form of protection is worth the few minutes of discomfort.

The whole process was extremely simple and my doctor made me feel 100% comfortable. If you have any questions about getting an IUD, don’t hesitate to talk to a professional! They are there to help and make sure you make the best decision possible.

when you make the perfect decision for you and your body without worrying what others think

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!