Movie Review: The Illusionist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The Illusionist is an animated French film made by acclaimed writer/director Sylvain Chomet, who is most known for another animated feature, The Triplets of Belleville. Like Belleville was back in 2003, The Illusionist is nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars this year alongside Toy Story 3and How To Train Your Dragon. Unlike most American animated films, The Illusionist provides a delicious spread for the eyes while still having a realistic, soul-crushing moral and plotline.

The film is about a magician, “the illusionist,” in the late 1950s. As his art is slowly becoming obsolete and being replaced with rock music, he performs less and less and in more obscure places. This leads him to a young girl named Alice who adores his magic, believing it to be real, and the two quickly form a paternal relationship. Alice’s ignorant, childlike belief that magic is real feeds the illusionist’s desperate desire for his passion to be appreciated and contrasts his knowledge and slow acceptance that his profession is not only a dying one but is also becoming a mockery.

With little to no dialogue that isn’t subtitled in English anyway, The Illusionist manages to convey almost crippling emotion through its flawless animation and characterization. The film’s artwork is elegant but still quirky. In The Illusionist, there are random silly moments, quite a few involving a fellow entertainer’s puppet. But however fun these sparse moments are, they mostly serve to highlight the film’s overall tone of sadness.

Sylvain Chomet’s The Illusionist is a gorgeous animated film that is simultaneously inspiring with eccentric, hand-drawn animation and depressing with relatable themes of worthlessness and abandonment. The only thing it’s missing in contrast to The Triplets of Bellevilleis an original song or two. Although wildly different than both Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon, The Illusionist deserves its nomination as Best Animated Feature.
Rating: 4/5

Photo from IMDB.com

Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.