Meet One of Juicy J’s Backup Dancers: Joelle Hopkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
Remember in The Lizzie McGuire Movie when Lizzie gets up on stage after defeating the horrible Paolo, and she sings with Isabella and the crowd is going wild? I believe, at that moment, every little girl wanted to be Lizzie McGuire (I’m pretty sure we all want to be Hillary Duff now, but for other reasons. Seriously, have you seen her abs?)

However, one girl’s dream of being Lizzie came true, with a little help from Juicy J. Meet Joelle Hopkins, Juicy J’s backup dancer from his concert on Saturday, April 28.

Her Campus Ohio U: What grade and major are you? 

Joelle Hopkins: I’m a nutrition major, and a freshman. 

HCOU: So you’re back up dancing for Juicy J?

JH: It’s, like, Juicy J performs, and when he goes to change clothes and what not, we go on. We’re there to keep the crowd going when he’s not there. 

HCOU: Do you guys have a name for the dance group?

JH: As far as I’m aware, no. 

HCOU: How many OU students are in the group?

JH: Well, we had 12 originally. But then, we sent out an email, saying we’d take more for modeling (because it’s modeling and dancing), so a lot more girls showed up. All OU students. 

HCOU: How long have you been dancing?

JH: Uh, this year. I started in college. The auditions were open to anybody, but they performed a hip-hop background. I knew the girls who were in charge of hiring the dancers, so I decided to try anyways, and I caught on. 

HCOU: So, now that you’ve started dancing, did you join any other dance groups?

JH: No but, I was in FACES (modeling club) before this. 

HCOU: So tell me about your dance schedule and practicing for this.

JH: Okay, so we started a month ago, and it was every Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. This week (the week before the performance) it’s every day but today (Tuesday). 

HCOU: How long do you practice per day?

JH: Sundays, the practices are two hours, and during the week the practices are one hour; it’s not too bad. 

HCOU: Since you just started dancing, what’s your favorite type of dance?

JH: I like hip-hop. 

HCOU: Is that the type of dance you’re doing for Juicy J?

JH: Yeah, something like that. I’m going to say that it is, because that’s what they told me. 

HCOU: What is the biggest struggle being a backup dancer?

JH: The struggle right now is that the concert is on Saturday, so being ready by then, and keeping up with my school work. 

Snapchat captures Hopkins performing with fellow dancer at Juicy J’s concert.

HCOU: Did you and the other girls get along right away? 

JH: Yes! It’s like a family, we all get along so well. 

HCOU: What are the costumes like?

JH: Well, we wear different things, but our main costume is a black shirt that says “trippy mane,” you know, like Juicy J always says, and then black shorts. 

HCOU: If you had the opportunity, would you do it all over again?

JH: Most definitely! It’s been great!

HCOU: Do you think this is one of the experiences in college that you’ll look back and tell your kids about?

JH: Yes! Actually, my parents don’t know. 

HCOU: Do you have any advice for people trying out for anything?

JH: Try it! You never know until you try!
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano