Marika Bresler and L.J. Cohen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Marika Bresler and L.J. Cohen may seem like your typical college junior and sophomore (respectively), keeping busy with school, work, and friends. But, they actually are very different than your average student. Marika and L.J. are a part of one of the smallest ethnic groups on campus. Marika and L.J. are both Jewish. They both practice the Jewish faith, and identify with the Jewish culture.
            Both work hard to stay connected to their faith, and are using their musical talents to help reach out to others who want to do the same. The are both members of the musical group “Friday Night Miracles.” The group, which changes in number, and members every year, brings the small Jewish community together through music. They play every Friday night at the Jewish service, held at “Hillel,” the center for Jewish life in Athens.
            Marika and L.J. both talked about how much the music and the group impacted their lives and their religion, as well as other Jewish community members. 

How did FNM start?
L.J.: Samara Katz, who graduated in 2010, decided she wanted to have music at Hillel Services, so there could be several prayers incorporated into the service. It gave musically talented students a way to be more involved in Hillel. A lot of people don’t know Hebrew, but it is much easier in song form. It really helped the membership

What does each of you do for FNM?
L.J.: I’m in charge of organizing outlines, and the music aspect, making sure everyone is on key- I lead the group with my guitar.

Marika: I am a singer. I sing. I also try to talk to new people when they come to services. When they’re new and a younger student, I want to see if they want to join. I talk to them on a one-on-one level.

What is FNM role in the Hillel services?
L.J.: We lead the community and the student in prayer through song.

Marika: We also lead the prayers that don’t have song

L.J.: We’re pretty much in charge of leading the service.

Marika: it’s the backbone of the service, and when we don’t have some members there, it really takes away from the bond we have with the community. It’s an important part of the service. Its what makes us different from other services and other Hillel’s on other campuses. It makes people feel comfortable and included.

L.J.: It’s a special thing that only OU has. It makes it something special for the student.

What are your favorite songs to sing during services?
L.J.: Mu favorite songs to sing are Hashkiveinu (A nightly prayer to awaken healthy the next day) also the Sh’ma, the essential Jewish prayer, that is supposed to be said three times a day, to remind yourself that God is only one person, that there is only one God, and to bless his name.

Marika: My favorite song is Mi Chamocha, which is a traditional Jewish prayer that the founder, Sam, composed into a song. Everyone has that payer, but ours is special and unique to OU.

Do other members of Hillel sing along to the songs?
L.J.: Absolutely.

Marika YES!

L.J.: It’s just a part of their lives as it is ours. Its something that makes them feel close. It brings the community close together, because the community isn’t very big, and there is no synagogue, so its keeps everyone close together

Marika: We don’t perform we just lead the group.

Anything else?
L.J.: Hillel is a great place to be for Jewish student when there are only 700 other Jewish students. It beings them back to religion and brings students close to people who share the philosophy as they do.

Marika: you question a lot of thing s when you get to college, and you’re really busy. Sometimes religion and spirituality become secondary on a college campus. And because the community is so small- Hillel has been something that keeps me personally stay connected to my faith. And being student ran keeps students on campus very close to their Judaism.

To learn more about Jewish life on campus, Friday Night Miracles, and how you can get involved, check out Hillel on 21 Mill Street, or like their Facebook page

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.