Make Finals Week Less Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We all know how hard it is to stay motivated during spring quarter in Athens, especially when finals week rolls around. With summer right around the corner, it is inevitable that the only thing our brains focus on is sleeping in, sunny beaches, and not having schoolwork for three months. Plus, the fact that the majority of our friends from semester schools have been soaking up what summer sun they can since the beginning of May.  

But nevertheless, escaping the dreaded first week of June is impossible for most of us. So instead of becoming frustrated and sleep-deprived during finals week, try these simple tips to get more rewards and enjoyment out of your last couple weeks here in Athens.

1. Start studying early.

Even though we students would rather put finals in the back of our minds until the very last second, it is more beneficial to start studying a week or so in advance. By spreading out your study sessions over long periods of time, you will not only have to spend fewer hours a day studying, but you will not feel as stressed or pressured to cram all of the information for your exam into one or two nights. 

Also, if you do a majority of your studying prior to your exam, the night before can be spent as more of a review day, briefly going over notes and trying to recite from memory as much of the information as possible. The less stressed you feel in the hours before your final, the more confident you will feel when the exam time rolls around.

2. Mix up your study spot.

As convenient as the library might seem for a prime study location, the fact of the matter is that hundreds of other students are thinking the same thing about Alden as you are. During finals week, you stand a better chance of spending more time finding a table or quiet corner to set up shop than you actually would studying. And if you are like me, the library can be awfully distracting even at the best of times. It is either too loud or eerily silent, which can make focusing an incredibly hard and frustrating task

So instead of assuming that Alden is the only place to plant yourself for the days leading up to your final, try thinking of new places on campus to get some work done. Places like Emeriti Park or College Green can be both relaxing and good places to focus, especially if you enjoy a little bit of noise and studying by sunlight instead of fluorescent bulbs. If you enjoy studying indoors, try the library inside Glidden Hall, or journalism students can make use of Lasher Learning Center inside the Scripps building.

3.  Take study breaks.

Contrary to popular belief, studying for hours on end does not help you retain the information you are trying to cram into your brain before a big history final.  So instead of reading the same four sentences in your textbook over and over, you will be doing both yourself and your final grade a favor by taking short twenty to thirty minute breaks every couple of hours.  Watch a few mind-numbing Youtube videos, blast music and dance around your dorm, or even talk a walk down the bike path and back.  Whatever you decide to do, just give your brain a rest and focus on something that does not involve memorizing information in order to retain more of what you are learning later on.

4.  Do not pull an all night study session!

One of the most common study practices that college students take part in is the infamous all-nighter. Loaded up on espresso shots and energy drinks, students will spend their final hours holed up in a library instead of in their dorm rooms getting a good nights sleep before their exam time. But falling asleep while you are taking the final will not help you get that passing grade you so desire. 

So even if you do feel like you will be underprepared for your exam, still make a conscious effort to get a full night’s sleep prior to your final, and then consider sneaking in an extra hour or so of studying before taking the exam.  You will be surprised what your brain can recall when it is fully rested, and not running on caffeine alone. And no, sneaking a nap on one of the library couches does not count.

Just try to remember that finals week, while tough, is not something to stress over to an extreme level. As long as you work hard and study in an efficient and healthy manner, it is still possible to enjoy the beautiful Athens weather and ace your exams. And of course, summer will be waiting for you at the finish line, cheering you on.          

Holly Storrow is a junior magazine journalism major in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University with a specialization in Political Science and English. Along with being a contributing writer and design team member for the OU branch of Her Campus, Holly enjoys swing dancing with the Jitterbug Club and watching way too many television shows with her roommate/best friend. Back home in Wellington, Ohio, Holly works at a gas station as a cashier and enjoys conversing with all of the local people in her small town. Reading and writing are two of Holly's passions in life, and she cannot wait to incorporate these things into her future career.
Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.