London Blues: A study abroad experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

London. Just the mere mention of England’s famous city gives me the uncontrollable urge to sigh longingly. It’s been six weeks since my incredible 11-day study abroad trip, and I still can’t get the experience out of my head. I’ve always been obsessed with the eclectic British culture of London. The royalty. The history. The adorable English accents. But after studying abroad this past December, I can’t deny that London stole my heart completely. Although I love being back at Ohio University, I find myself wishing that Athens had the allure of London and its fast-paced British lifestyle.

Escalator Etiquette
One of the biggest cultural rules you can break in London is standing on the left side of the escalator. If you want to stand, you must remain on the right or risk being knocked away by some hurried Londoner – trust me, it happens often. After ingraining the British rule into my head, I find riding the escalators in Baker an utter nuisance. A blob of OU students never fails to plop itself on the left side of the escalator, causing the distant London part of me to cringe with impatience. It may not be the American way, but I wish we would discover the brilliance of London’s escalator efficiency.

Tube Love
No London experience is complete without taking a ride on the Tube – the English version of a subway. Unlike American subways, however, Londoners are not big on personal space. With hoards of people constantly boarding, riders are packed together on the cars like sardines, sometimes for an entire trip. Riding the Tube was the craziest part of my trip but also the most exciting because it shows you the variety of people London has to offer. Now, walking to class across College Green in the dreary cold has me longing for the colorful adventure of the Tube once again.

Tea Time

In London, I had the opportunity to go to England’s hippest place for afternoon tea, Fortnum & Mason’s. British tea is usually served with three-level trays of finger foods. The proper behavior is to grab from the bottom first – a lesson I sourly learned when my instructor had to stop me from snatching the chocolate sweets at the top. Besides my misstep, I found the British tea experience quite enjoyable because it can last for hours. After a hectic morning of touring the city, it was so calming to sit down and just talk with friends. As I’m thrown back into the lifestyle of the overworked college student, I find myself wanting a free moment to relax with some English tea.

City Life

The biggest thing I miss about London, though, is living life so spontaneously. London is a city filled with endless possibilities and places to see. From exploring Westminster and seeing Big Ben to taking a ride on the London Eye – Europe’s tallest Ferris wheel – there was never a dull moment for me on the trip. With one new activity after another in London, it’s hard to accept the strict routine of waking up, going to class and doing homework once more. Although I love Athens, the monotony has become a huge letdown. My memories leave me craving for a ticket, a plane and some Dramamine to make it through another eight-hour flight to London. A girl can dream, right?

Photo courtesy of Rachel Swalin

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.