This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s less than a week until BobcaThon and Kendra Lutes can’t stop smiling.  Kendra, a senior, is ecstatic to be the president of Ohio University’s one and only dance marathon, which benefits the Ronald McDonald House of Central Ohio. 

Her involvement with the event started her sophomore year when she became the Director of Campus Recruitment. Since then, she’s been involved every year, taking on a new role each time. Last year she was the vice president of planning.

Despite Kendra’s success in her college years, she never dreamed of her efforts amounting to something so big.  Aside from knowing OU was the perfect school for her (this was the only school she applied to), she never quite knew where she would end up. 

During her freshman year she started hating her major.

“I still have emails that I sent to my high school teachers, like, I’m having a college crisis! I don’t know what to do with my life!”

Although she was “absolutely terrified about switching,” she decided to switch her major to Communications Studies.

During her “college crisis,” she found a home in the Student Alumni Board and soon after that, BobcaThon and the rest is history. 

Kendra’s eyes light up as she remembers her favorite thing about BobcaThon: the strong, family-like bond that is formed between everyone on the leadership team. 

“People see a lot of the benefits of BobcaThon through our events and stuff, but there’s a lot that goes on internally that I think is really special,” she said.

Although she says she may be a bit biased, she believes that BobcaThon is one of the most life changing events on campus because the Ronald McDonald House Charities doesn’t just provide a bed, a roof and a place to stay, but it gives a legitimate home for some people.  She’s looking forward to when it is finally time to reveal how much money the event raised.  It’s her favorite part.

Once the event comes to a close on Sunday morning, Kendra will continue making her mark on campus and on the world. Her dream job is doing expansion for the outreach programs that are offered by Disney Citizenship, the non-profit corner of the Walt Disney Company. “I feel like my college experience has really shaped what my future is going to be,” Kendra said. 

We know it has, Kendra!  Get out there and dance!

(Photo courtesy of Kendra Lutes)

E.W. Scripps School Of Journalism Student Writer for HerCampus
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!