Kayla Hoffmann, Flowers for Faith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Although spring is still a few weeks off, flowers have begun to bloom on campus. Plum purple, deep red, rich blue and canary yellow, these flowers are seen peeking out of braids and clipping to curls of women on campus. These “Flowers for Faith” have been planted by freshman Kayla Hoffmann, an art major trying to raise money to support her budding photography and missionary dreams.

“I applied for summer project and realized I wanted to change majors to Commercial Photography,” Kayla said. “At this point I knew I didn’t want to write many support letters, God put it on my heart to start a business.”

Kayla began her business “Flowers for Faith” at the beginning of winter quarter thanks to an idea from a friend. She plans to use the money to go on a summer project with Cru.

“I wanted to use my summer to impact other’s lives and to learn more about my Creator and Savior. When I found Life of Adventure in Colorado, I had to apply, it just made sense.”

Another portion of the money made from “Flowers for Faith” will go towards her new camera, possible a Nikon D7000 or Nikon D800. Kayla’s not letting her lack of a camera get in the way of pursuing her passion. She’s currently taking all of her photos with her cellphone, a Samsung Reality.

“I have always been really drawn toward photography, taking random photos everywhere I go,” she said. “I love the way a photo can impact the way you feel about an entire culture or place, there is so much potential in photography to really make a statement.”

Kayla is currently advertising her flower hair clips on her Facebook page “Flowers for Faith.” She carries the flowers, which come in a wide variety of colors and sizes, in a large red plastic bucket to Cru’s weekly gathering, 180, every Thursday. They are available one for $5, two for $9 and three for $13.

She said her friends have been supporting her by handing out business cards, making the flowers and buying them.

“Without them this process would have been ten times harder, I am so incredibly grateful for all their continued love and support.”

Carrying a full class load and running a business has been a challenge for Kayla, but through it all she has kept her focus on God.

“Without God none of this would have been possible,” she said. “The Lord has been the driving force behind all of my actions, and all I really hope to accomplish through all this is to glorify and worship Him. God has blessed me with so much and in return I want to help and be a blessing to others. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength, Philippians 4:13.”

If you want to know more about Kayla and where “Flowers for Faith” will be next, you can find her on Facebook or at flowersforfaith@yahoo.com

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.