Jeremy Johnson, OU Wrestler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We all have talents and hobbies. Think of one of yours. How many people can say they’re the best in a town, or the state? Or are currently ranked 7thin the nation? This is exactly where Jeremy Johnson, Ohio University Heavyweight Wrestler, is currently sitting in the NCAA rankings.

Johnson began wrestling in 8thgrade as a whim, and quickly found that it came naturally to him. In high school, he placed 7that the state tournament in Ohio during his junior year. His senior year, he won the tournament, the highest you can place as a high school wrestler in the state of Ohio. Johnson credits his high school coaching staff as the reason behind his success, stating that they were “incredibly supportive and passionate about the sport of wrestling.”

After deciding to redshirt his freshman year, Johnson competed in the Junior World Team Trials in Colorado Springs, CO during the spring of 2010. Johnson won the tournament and was chosen to compete on the Junior World Team under 20 division. This tournament took place in Budapest, Hungary in July 2010, where Johnson placed 5thin the world, calling it an “awesome experience.” While Johnson says he would love to compete overseas again, his main focus is college wrestling.

Johnson is now halfway through his sophomore year of college wrestling with a record of 25-5, leading to his 7thplace national ranking. (Rankings are determined by a wrestler’s record and through beating ranked opponents.) His current goal is to become an All-American, a title acquired by placing in the top 8 at the NCAA tournament held in March, but says his ultimate collegiate goal is to become a National Champion, the highest honor you can receive in college wrestling.

“[Being ranked] is a sign that hard work pays off,” says Johnson.

While most college students are ordering pizza and beer multiple times a week, Johnson is eating fruits, vegetables and lean proteins while working out multiple times a day trying to cut weight and prepare his body for the challenges it endures daily.

“Wrestling teaches you about real life everyday,” says Johnson. “The responsibilities and goal-driven attitudes that you deal with everyday are all real life lessons.”

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.