This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

For those who are not in a sorority and wonder what it’s like to live in a sorority house, here is an inside look on some of my personal experiences living in one. For those who have lived in a sorority house, maybe you can relate. 

So..I love food. Dining hall food can sometimes suck. Lucky for me, I don’t have that problem. I get up in the early afternoon, roll out of bed and walk down one flight of stairs to a large kitchen/dining room. Our Chef makes a variety of different food options for lunch and dinner every day. He always has a salad bar and options for anyone who has dietary restrictions. If I’m craving some comfort food from home, I can give him the recipe and he will cook it for everyone. I cannot give enough praise to our chef and I am so thankful that I have homemade food every day that is without a doubt made with love.

One of my favorite parts about living in a sorority house is walking back from a long day of classes and getting to walk into an actual house. I didn’t mind walking into a dorm last year because the dorms at Ohio University are great. However, walking into a house makes me feel even more at home. It’s also nice being greeted by about ten girls when I walk through the door. I definitely get my fair share of hugs and kind smiles every day.  

Movie nights! In our house we have a room on the first floor that has a large TV and several couches. Oftentimes, a bunch of us in the house will watch movies together. I love being able to watch movies with a lot of people instead of watching them alone in my dorm room. We also have a craft room nearby which is great, because we craft a lot. 

The showers in the sorority house I live in actually have doors. This is nice because you don’t have to worry about the wind or someone pushing the curtain open.   

In the sorority house, I don’t have to deal with carrying laundry outside to the nearest laundry center on campus, which is amazing, because who likes to carry their laundry outside when it’s snowing? 

Living in a sorority house might seem daunting and stressful…especially thinking about living with so many girls. But I have found that it’s the opposite. Once I got acclimated to the environment I fell in love not just with the physical house but the girls who live in it.  I now have a family that always has my back.  

A passionate storyteller