This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s no secret that college is expensive. With tuition, books, rent, food, bills and all the other costs of being a student, there’s barely enough money left over to spend on ourselves! Although college students are known to be notoriously broke, here are just a few tips on how to save a little extra cash to splurge on yourself.

1.     Food

Let’s talk food! Whether you’re living on or off campus, it’s amazing to see how much money you spend on food. Personally, I don’t think there’s anything better than a late night run to O’Betty’s for some of their famous chili cheese fries. Or why not call up Insomnia and have some cookies delivered right to your dorm? The fast food options here in Athens are both a blessing and a curse. Just think about how much money you have spent this past weekend on food. Instead of spending all of your money on fast food, try taking a trip to ALDI or Walmart for some inexpensive meals that you can easily make yourself. Just imagine having a late night craving and simply walking to the microwave and, presto! You have yourself a nice hearty meal.

Photo courtesy: collegesolved.com

2.     Books

There is nothing quite as depressing as seeing the prices of your textbooks for the new semester. As you scroll online you are constantly asking yourself, “How often am I really going to use this?”  Although many of us have already purchased our textbooks, there are still a few of us who our holding out to see if we can make it through without having to buy the book. So now it is week 4 and you’ve realized it is time to bite the bullet and go ahead and purchase the textbook. There are some ways to save a little cash. Try renting! Renting a textbook is almost always a cheaper option in comparison to actually buying the book. Websites such as Chegg and Amazon both allow you to rent their textbooks, and usually will provide free shipping for returns. Can’t rent? Buy a used copy! Used textbooks are easy to find and will definitely keep a little extra change in your pocket.  Don’t worry about wear and tear because most used textbooks are basically new and will sometimes even have tips from its previous owner! Lastly, split the cost with a friend. Make a friend in your class and discuss splitting the cost of the textbook. Although it’s not the most convenient option, it’s doable and will definitely save you some money!

3.     Have some free time? Get a job!

Although working is the last thing we want to hear, it doesn’t hurt to work a couple hours a week to put a little extra money in our pockets. Most campus jobs are very flexible when it comes to scheduling shifts. As much as we all want to spend our extra free time on Netflix, working a couple hours a week will really help you gain some cash flow. However, being a student comes first so if you don’t think you have the time, try and think of other ways you can save money.

Now that you’ve read these tips, it’s time to start saving! Remember we are only young once so don’t be afraid to save a little now and “Treat yo’Self,” after a long week.

GIF courtesy:giphy.com

Main photo courtesy: quickmeme.com

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano