How to Live More Fully in Each Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This too shall pass.  I’m sure at some point in your life someone has said these words to you, or you’ve said them to yourself in a challenging time.  These words seem to be the mantra for reminding us of the temporary nature of things.  In reciting and thinking these words, you are practicing Vairagya.

Vairagya is composed of two words:

vi – not to be effected

raga – to attract

Thus, vairagya is “not to be effected by attraction.”  As human personality traits go, once there is attraction to something, the possessive qualities of our nature and ego start to set in.  This pulls us further away from that understanding of the temporal nature of all things.  We can notice our attachment more often when we are having positive life experiences.  We want to hold on tight and never let go. We are much better at this practice in negative experiences.  We are all to willing to let go of the dark, painful parts to get back to the light freeing parts.

Vairagya is the practice of learning to actively and systematically encounter, explore and let go of attachments to emotions, situations, desires and false identities that keep one from living in one’s true nature of ease, peace and connection.  In this practice of non-attachment, the circumstances of life become more neutral and in many ways colorless.  This practice helps us get off the emotional roller coaster that takes on epic highs and lows with our thoughts and emotions.  It allows us to settle in to that deeper understanding of the temporary nature of all things.

When practicing vairagya, it does not mean to avoid situations and experiences in life.  A very human trait is to be attracted to things that please the senses and repulsed by those that do not.  In the practice of non-attachment, you learn to accept the existence of things around you without judgement or expectation, just seeing them for what they are, and begin to understand their nature. Once you understand their nature, you can let go to the attachment without rejecting or being negative.  Viaragya is the process by which one can see life as it is, understanding the nature of this moment, and let it reside in peace knowing it is only temporary.

Meeting life more from a space of non-attachment gives us greater insight and acceptance of the temporary nature of all things.  It is a very freeing practice. Like any practice, it takes lots of time to refine and grow into.  The simplest place to begin to cultivate the tools for this practice in life is with breath.  I invite you to spend a little time each day sitting quietly with your breath to begin to cultivate the tools of vairagya and gain a deeper understanding in just how temporary each moment is.  The more you can surrender into letting go of attachments, you will find a settling into a quiet still space.

Here’s a practice you can download to get started.

If you have any questions for Michelle, contact her at Inhale Yoga Studio to schedule a 35-minute private session. She is available for this and other private sessions, as you need.  Contact her by email:  michelle@inhaleyoga.org.

Michelle Stobart is the Senior Teacher and Studio Director of Inhale Yoga Studio. She recently released her first yoga DVD: Yin + Restorative Yoga (available at Inhale Yoga Studio). She offers a yearly yoga teacher training program approved by Yoga Alliance at the 200 hour level. She writes a regular yoga post for Her Campus Ohio University, teaches group yoga classes, offers private yoga sessions and does Thai Massage at Inhale Yoga Studio. Catch her for group class on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6pm or join in one of her upcoming workshops. You will also find her one Saturday a month at Athens Uncorked teaching a yoga class that ends with a wine tasting mediation. You can learn more about Michelle or book with her at www.inhaleyoga.org or by calling 740.249.4310. Follow her on Facebook to stay up to date on her many offerings.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano