ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How It Feels To Leave Athens for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Summer is quickly approaching for us Bobcats since we only have two more weeks at our hOUme here in Athens (crazy, I know)! Some students are more excited to be home with family and friends, while others are dreading leaving the best place on earth. I am personally torn between the two, so I came up with some pros and cons on leaving Athens for summer break.

PROS:

1. No schoolwork

This is one is the most important and obvious pro to leaving college for the summer. Not having to write any papers or complete projects is truly a beautiful thing. For most of us, instead of cramming and worrying about a test, all we have to worry about is making money and making plans with our friends. No schoolwork = no stress!

2. Home cooked meals

Home cooked meals are a great part about coming home for the summer. Having a break from the dining hall is a refreshing change. I know that this particularly pertains to underclassmen, but I also know everyone enjoys a nice home cooked meal from their parents.

3. Hometown friends and family

Being home for the summer means you get to spend a lot more time with your family and you get to reconnect with hometown friends. It’s always fun to spend quality time with friends who go to different colleges and compare stories. Spending more time with your family is an obvious perk, which is great especially when you’re sick because mom always takes care of you.

CONS:

1. OU friends

When you go home you get to see old friends, but leaving Athens for the summer may also mean leaving your new friends who you’ve made here. You meet so many people in college and make many friends, and unfortunately your friends often come from different cities or states. That means spending about three or four months apart until next semester… tragic.

2. Parties

Partying obviously is not the only thing college is for, but it is undoubtedly the most fun. Leaving Athens for the summer means leaving the parties behind, and we all know that Athens hosts great parties!

3. Atmosphere

Leaving OU for the summer means not living with and being surrounded by people of your age group. Going home also means leaving the college atmosphere: leaving uptown, the brick roads, and the campus in general. Athens is the epitome of a college town, especially when it’s nice out and everyone is out on south beach and college green – nothing beats it!

How do you feel about leaving Athens for summer break? Let us know on Twitter @HerCampusOhioU!

Kellyanne Stitts Broadcast Journalism Major Future side-line reporter for football Living vicariously through Jessie James Decker Twitter: @KellyanneStitts Instagram: Kellyanne_Stitts
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).