How to Beat Cabin Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The holiday season has come and gone. Temperatures have dipped, the sidewalks and roads are icy and slick, and the majority of us spend our free time daydreaming about living in a warm, tropical paradise.

Okay, so maybe it’s not quite as chilly here in Athens as this photo would suggest, but it’s still cold enough to keep us indoors. We rarely leave the comfort of our warm rooms, except to make the trek to class, the dining halls, or the occasional trip up to Court Street. However, hardly ever leaving home can result in some serious cabin fever. Here are some ways to beat winter boredom and keep entertained during the blustery days ahead:

1.   READ A BOOK! – Admittedly, this sounds super cliché, but reading a book is probably one of the best ways to go on your own little adventure.  You can pick up a book and instantly escape to a different world. You can travel to a glamorous city, a beautiful mountain range, or even a warm, stunning beach in the south of France. The possibilities are endless!

Photo: weheartit.com

2.   CATCH UP ON YOUR NETFLIX BINGING! – This trend seems to be everyone’s new favorite pastime. You find a show, instantly become obsessed and spend your every waking moment watching said show. When the sun’s blazing and people are out and about, it’s harder to justify staying indoors to watch ten straight episodes of New Girl. But one of the best things about blizzards and dreary weather is that it’s 100% socially acceptable to hunker down under your coziest blankets and watch copious amounts of TV! It’s the perfect time to finally start Friends or catch up on Gossip Girl!    

Photo: weheartit.com

3.   MAKE A BEACHY PLAYLIST!  –  This is great for when you’re completely and utterly done with the cold, the freezing rain, the snow…or whatever decides to fall out of the clouds on any given day. Head to 8tracks.com, sign up for a free account, and create a summery set of tunes that will get you through the chilly days ahead and instantly transport you to a tropical paradise.

Photo: weheartit.com

4.  DO EVERYTHING YOU’VE BEEN PUTTING OFF! – When you’re especially antsy and are totally at a loss for something to do, do what you’ve been putting off. Clean your desk, go through your fridge, or organize your closet; the list goes on and on. You can use these days with less than stellar weather to get a leg up on procrastination and cross everything off of your to-do list.

Photo: weheartit.com

5. GO TO A COFFEE SHOP! – When the weather isn’t being too ridiculous, venture outdoors! Take an hour for yourself, swing by Donkey or Brenen’s, and grab a cup of coffee or a steaming mug of hot chocolate. It’ll make braving the cold that much more worth it! Sometimes, a little change of scenery can do you some good!

GIF: giphy.com

Stay strong, Bobcats! It’s already February, and Spring Break is just around the corner. We can do this!

Caroline Meyers is an actress and a writer by day and an avid shower singer by night. She’s a college student with big dreams, a love for elephants, and a serious case of wanderlust. Tea drinking and movie watching are some of her favorite pastimes, and although she hasn’t yet mastered the art of the tweet, you can find her at @Carlie_Meyers.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano