This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

By Maddie Ballas

Cover image from flickr.com

Goodbye Small Town, Hello Athens

My mother always used to tell me that college was going to be like one thing: Being a small fish in a big pond. I grew up and went to high school in a small town, and by small, I mean my graduating class had 86 people. I was always accustomed to knowing every person I passed in the hall, knowing all the gossip and ultimately, being the big fish in a small pond. Ma was right; as a new freshman in Athens, I definitely had some wake up calls and major adjusting to do.

Here’s my five tips for settling into the big time college feel coming from a small town girl:

1. Nelson, Shively and The District don’t have anything on homemade meals.

Microwavable mac and cheese cups become your best friend. I’ll admit that mac and cheese was the first true love of my life, but if there’s one thing I miss, it’s my mom’s cooking. Try to mock meals from home in the dining hall, and if that fails, hit up Chipotle or Brenen’s.

2. The more pictures you bring, the better.

It’s so weird moving away from your childhood friends, and you notice that you can’t just throw out your best friend’s name into a conversation with your roomie and expect her to know exactly who you’re talking about. I have so many pics of me and my girls from back home in my dorm — trust me, it helps.

3. Introduce yourself to everyone you meet.

Cute boy in line? Say hi. Nice girl sits next to you in class? Strike up a conversation. Although you may miss your friends, family or significant other from back home, it’s time to expand yourself and meet new people. I know for a fact that every other freshman is seeking out new friends, too, so get out there! You may find a new BFF…or even a new crush!

4. Living on your own is both exciting and overwhelming.

You get to pick what you eat and when you want to eat it. Cookies at 2 a.m.? Totally. Breakfast for dinner? You got it. While some of us are soaking in the new independent lifestyle, it can also be overwhelming. When your laundry basket gets too full or your head is killing you, mom and dad aren’t around to lend a helping hand. You have to find the perfect balance between going out and hitting the books.

Image from theatlantic.com

5. Buckle your seatbelt because it’s going to be one hell of a ride.

I’ve been a college student for two weeks now, and I can tell you it’s already an amazing adventure. I came into college with an open mindset, and I can already tell that I’ve changed. You can have crazy, wild nights and make tons of memories with all of your new friends, but you can (and will) spend nine hours doing homework — I may or may not have done that this past Sunday. But really, I may still be a little fish in a brand new pond but I cannot wait to see what this year holds. Good luck to all the freshmen out there, myself included. We’re going to need it…and if you ever want to cry and eat ice cream with someone during midterms and finals week, I’m your girl.

Slightly poetic and most likely taller than you.
Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.