Get to know the 13Fest Lineup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Rejoice Bobcats, mud rats, and music lovers! Prime Social released this year’s lineup for April 18’s Number Fest. Headlining the largest college music festival will be DJ/producer Diplo and rapper ScHoolboy Q.

This is the 13th edition of the Number Fest. Along with the headliners, 19 other artists will take the stage including: G-Eazy, iLoveMakonnen, and Borgeous.

“We really wanted to have a focus on eclectic lineup that provided not only regional names and local names, but some of the best national talent out there,” said Number Fest founder Dominic Petrozzi.

That’s great but maybe the fest went too eclectic with some of the performers. Ohio University senior Taylor Mills said, “I’m not all that thrilled with the lineup. I was hoping for somebody big like last year.”

Last year, Grammy nominated artist Wiz Khalifa performed to a crowd of over 18,000 people. This year, Prime Social Group is expecting a larger crowd, but will they get this?

OU senior LaDawn Manuel said that while ScHoolboy Q is “the only one worth seeing,” she still won’t be attending.

Some students are optimists despite not knowing the lineup. “I don’t know many of the performers, but I’m sure it will be a good time,” senior Katie Soliday said.

For those who don’t know this year’s lineup, here’s a guide to a few of the performers:

1. Diplo

DJ, producer, rapper, and song writer Thomas Pentz is best known by his stage name Diplo. He’s worked with well-known artists such as Britney Spears, Beyoncé, No Doubt, Usher, and Justin Bieber. Diplo was recently dating Katy Perry. While dating the singer, he got into Twitter beef with Taylor Swift and Lorde after he commented on Taylor’s figure. Katy and Diplo have since broken up but he still showed his support for the “Firework” singer after her Super Bowl halftime show.

Songs you have to hear:

Revolution – Diplo feat. Faustix & Imanos, Kai

6th Gear – Diplo & Alvaro feat. Kstylis

Express Yourself – Diplo feat. Nicky Da B

2. ScHoolboy Q

Fun fact, Quincy Hanley (aka ScHoolboy Q) was born on a military base in Wiesbaden, Germany. Early in his career, Q formed the group Black Hippy with Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, and Ab-Soul. In 2013, he performed Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “White Walls” on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Last year, he released his third album Oxymoron that features top charting singles “Collard Greens,” “Studio,” and “Break the Bank.”

Songs you have to hear:

Man of the Year – ScHoolboy Q

Hands on the Wheel – ScHoolboy Q feat. A$AP Rocky

Hell of a Night – ScHoolboy Q

3. G-Eazy

Gerald Earl Gillum is a rapper, songwriter, and producer. G-Eazy was one of MTV’s Artists to Watch in July 2014 after the release of his album These Things Happen. He has opened for popular artists such as Drake, Lil Wayne, and Hoodie Allen. He used Myspace and Youtube to gain popularity and exposure to his mixtapes.

Songs you have to hear:

Let’s Get Lost – G-Eazy feat. Devon Baldwin

I Mean It (Remix) – G-Eazy feat. Remo and Rick Ross

Loaded – G-Eazy feat. DJ Carnage

4. Borgeous

John Borger, better known by his stage name Borgeous, is a DJ and producer. He is best known for his collaboration with DVBBS to create the single “Tsunami.” Borgeous’ music has been praised by Billboard magazine and he’s a familiar face at international music festivals.

Songs you have to hear:

Tsunami – DVBBS & Borgeous

Invincible – Borgeous

Beast – Thomas Gold & Borgeous

5. iLoveMakonnen

If you don’t know by now, Makonnen Sheran (aka iLoveMakonnen) is making the club go up on Tuesdays. Makonnen had a brief business relationship with producer Mike Will Made It, and after they parted ways, he met producer Metro Boomin. He rose to success after Drake remixed his song “Club Goin’ Up on a Tuesday” from his self-titled EP iLoveMakonnen.

Songs you have to hear:

Tuesday (Remix) – iLoveMakonnen feat. Drake

I Don’t Sell Molly No More (Prod. By Sonny Digital) – iLoveMakonnen feat. Wiz Khalifa

Swerve – iLoveMakonnen

Check out the official 13 Fest playlist on Spotify or Soundcloud.

What do you think of this year’s lineup? Tweet to @HerCampusOhioU using the hashtag #13Fest.

Born and raised in Baltimore, I am a die hard Ravens fan, food lover, and TV fanatic. I am a senior at Ohio University studying News and Information Journalism. I love writing with a twist, a little flair, and a lot of sarcasm.Twitter: @ayychain
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).