This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Thanksgiving is finally here. It is the one day a year that you can completely overindulge and stuff your face without anyone judging you. But did you know that the average American will consume about 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving? Here are some tips on how to eat the delicious food you’ve been waiting all year for without feeling stuffed and guilty.

Turkey is central to most Thanksgiving meals. Choosing white meat over dark meat can save you calories and fat while giving you more protein.

Instead of topping your turkey with canned cranberry sauce, which may contain over 400 calories, and up to 105 grams of sugar per serving, make your own sauce. Add four cups of cranberries to one cup of water and boil until the cranberries burst. Then add sugar to taste.

Skip the sweet potato casserole with the gooey marshmallow topping and opt for roasted sweet potatoes, which are sweet without all the added sugar.

When it comes to dessert, go for a slice of pumpkin pie which has less calories than pecan pie, as well as calcium, iron and Vitamin A.

But above all, enjoy your Thanksgiving collegiettes!

Share your family fun with us with on Instagram @hercampusohiou.

Ohio University Class of 2018 | Psychology major West Virginia native now living in Athens. I love traveling, eating junk food and quoting The Office. You'll probably find me yelling at a TV while watching football. 
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).