stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Make These “Gym-stakes”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

21 days is all it takes in order to form a habit. In actuality, this does not seem like a long amount of time at all, but it can lead to great results. When it comes to fitness and working out, many individuals are seeking such results. Daily exercise and healthy attitudes become routine habits. However, these habits are not necessarily good or forgivable. What seems like the most effective or most qualified habit, could actually be doing more damage than repair. Do your body a favor and read through this list to find out the harm and prevention factors of fitness.

1. Sore muscles means no workout

Aching muscles are not an excuse to skip a daily workout. This is a completely normal effect of muscles, especially after an intense or new form of exercise. It’s important to avoid aggravating these sore muscles by continuing with the same workout. Instead, don’t take a day off, but try to stretch out the muscles and take part in a lighter/easier cardio exercise.

2. Hopping from one machine to another

If you’re going from one machine to another, it’s important to go with a plan. While this will help improve muscle strength by switching forms, it prevents muscles from building up. We want our muscles to adapt to our routine, but it is important to set up a foundation first. Once techniques are learned, strengths are developed and then we can start switching up our routine.

3. Doing what’s comfortable

When it comes to challenging yourself in order to see results, it’s important not to stay confined within your comfort zone. Not as many calories can be burned when we continue only with exercises that we like. Instead, try doing higher intensity workouts that don’t make you feel as comfortable. Even though it is uncomfortable, it should not be unbearable and result in any pain or injury.

4. Not eating before a workout

An empty stomach does not make for a happy stomach when exercising. It is important for food consumption prior to working out in order to supply glucose used for fuel to produce energy. Without glucose, the body becomes tired and sluggish. It is suggested to eat about an hour before training in order to kick up endurance. Eat some quick, healthy snacks, such as an apple, banana, or yogurt before heading off to the gym

5. Surpassing your limits

One of the most important points to keep in mind is not to injure yourself. It is vital to not put too much strain on your body and push past your limits. Always be aware of your limits in order to prevent injury. It is also possible, if the case arises, to work around an injury. Lower body workouts can be done if an area is impaired in the upper body and vice versa. Also, try to do lower impact exercises if need be. Always consult a doctor if problems continue or are quite severe.

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).