samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Del Sol Intern: Jordan Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Jordan Hoffman, a junior at Ohio University, and President of Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority, will be spending her summer in Juneau, Alaska, being a sales intern for the leading brand of color-changing apparel and accessories, Del Sol. Del Sol uses Spectrachrome® crystals on various products that begin colorless, but then open and unfold when exposed to sunlight, revealing hidden colors.

They are the number-one promoted merchant onboard various cruise lines including Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, and Disney (just to name a few), and they have donated more than a million dollars worth of product and aid to victims of natural disasters such the Haitian earthquake, the South East Asia Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. Their color changing products include nail polish, clothing, headbands, hats, jewelry, beach toys, and much more.

Jordan discovered this internship through a family vacation this past summer in Destin, Florida. She visited a Del Sol store, and it sparked her curiosity of whether or not they offered internships. She spent a lot of time over the summer applying and searching various internships that would be a good fit with her Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development majors, and her Customer Service and Business minors. “I just randomly decided that night to go on to their website to see if they offered internships, then forgetting about it I actually received an email in February to interview for their program,” Jordan said.

The application process consisted of an online application through their website that included basic work history, the time of the year you were interested in, personal information, and any languages you are able to speak. If they like the information you provide them, they request a video showing you selling an item and you showcasing your personality. “I was able to skip the video portion of the interview because of all my leadership experience through my sorority” Jordan said. Besides being President, Jordan in the past has served as Recruitment Chair, and Alpha Experience coordinator– three major executive positions through Alpha Gamma Delta.

After the application process Jordan was awarded the official internship of Sales Intern for Del Sol’s summer session in Juneau, Alaska. “It’s actually a 5-month program from April-September, but they are cutting it short for me,” said Jordan. This gives her enough time to make it back to OU for Greek Life’s Spirit week. During her internship she will be working in the store along side managers learning the store operations and sales. Her performance is evaluated based on how she does sales wise.

Jordan does not need to do anything as preparation until she travels to their headquarters in Utah on May 9th where she will receive a four-day training session. On May 15th she will officially leave for Alaska after she completes the training. As an intern with them she receives flights to and from the store location, housing and utilities, monthly transportation funds, month per diem funds, and bonuses based on sales.

Jordan is most excited for the opportunity of getting to live in Alaska for three-months. She doesn’t think she would have ever lived in such a location if it were not for this experience. She is excited to live a new lifestyle and see the beautiful scenery Alaska has to offer.

“I’m pretty nervous! However, I’m excited to prove to myself I can be 11 hours away in flights from my parents and be okay!” Jordan said. She said she is more worried about the financial freedom more than anything because “I am not always the best with spending money, haha!”

If you want more information on Del Sol, click here. If you want more information on their internships, click here. We wish Jordan the best of luck!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano