Darius Rucker: From Hootie to Yee-Haw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Darius Rucker, former Hootie and the Blowfish front man and Country newcomer, performed for thousands of Ohio University students at Mem-Aud Friday, April 15.

The sold out show opened at 7 p.m. with a small set by The Drew Davis Band. Although relatively unknown, they’re slowly making their way into the country music world, gaining popularity by opening for Darius Rucker on his national tour around the U.S.

Darius Rucker finally reached the stage, dressed casually in blue jeans, a black t-shirt and a Nike ball cap. He opened the show with “Love Will Do That,” his latest hit from his newest album entitled Charleston, SC 1966, paying homage to his birth year and hometown. (Rucker was born in 1966 in Charleston). He followed with more songs from his album, including “Come Back Song” and “History in the Making.”

Rucker, who signed with Capitol Records in 2008 to record his first solo-Country album, often personalized his show, making references to Ohio University and its culture. Its number two party school ranking was brought up before performing “Drinkin’ and Dialin’ “ and pictures of campus played behind him during numerous songs.

Much to the crowd’s pleasure, they went wild as Rucker performed old Hootie and the Blowfish hits such as “Hold my Hand” and “Only Wanna be with You.” A brief intermission was held to introduce the members of his band, all hailing from Nashville.

After an encore set of songs, Rucker ended his show by signing his ball cap and tossing it to a lucky member in the crowd. His finale consisted of an inspiring cover of “Purple Rain,” originally sang by Prince.

Overall, Rucker’s concert was highly enjoyable and entertaining. The crowd loved his energy, and he seemed to love the crowd right back. We can only hope that he’ll stop back at OU for another great concert. After all, it would be “History in the Making”.

To check out other concerts and performances coming to OU, visit http://www.ohio.edu/performingarts/.

Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.