prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Confessions of a Pinterest Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

No, this is not like being a crazy Facebook stalker or an excessive Tweeter. Although Pinterest is a social media site, it is not utilized or recognized in the same way as other social media sites. Rather, this is a place to show the world the kind of person you are or aspire to be, and the kind of life you are leading or hope to lead.

The most attractive thing about Pinterest is that it is a world of opportunity. If I want to recreate myself entirely or simply change my routine, Pinterest gives me the power to do so (or at least makes me think I can do so). Every day when I log in, I get to be people from any and all walks of life, accomplishing different things, and grasping unique opportunities. I can be anything I want to be, which makes me…

1. The Foodie

Admittedly, I have a few boards dedicated to this topic. My most prized is my “Desserts” board, comprised of recipes that all look intoxicatingly scrumptious (about three of which I have actually tried). One would think I am a fat, French pastry chef after a glance at all of the chocolaty deliciousness. I also have a board made up of normal food, the kind of recipes that a mother of six would make for dinner on a Sunday. Lastly, I have a board entitled “Nutrition,” which is more suitable for an NYC apartment dwelling, vegan hipster girl who has a lot of time on her hands. This way, if I decide that I actually want to attempt a juice cleanse, I’ll know how.

Photo: wheatfreechristmasrecipes.com

2. The Overjoyed Bride-to-Be

The “Weddings” category in the drop-down menu doesn’t make it any easier to stop obsessing over my big day, whether it is in ten months or ten years. I never thought I would find a dress that is basically Kate Middleton’s timeless gown in a sleeveless, size 4 petite, but Pinterest found it. How else would I know what customized gift to give my bridesmaids, or what people should throw at my husband and I when we walk out of the church? The only thing that’s left for me to figure out is, who in the hell I’m going to marry.

Photo: images.idiva.com

3. The Adventurer

We all have a list of places we want to see before we die. There are so many places on this planet that we have never heard of, or that barely anyone out there knows about. We need to take the time to step outside of our own little bubble, and explore. I want to ride an elephant in Thailand, study abroad in Queensland, and eat my way through Italy. I want to take a road trip to an abandoned cave with a hidden waterfall and go to an epic music festival in Chicago. If my fingers weren’t glued to my laptop, my inner-traveler may have never found out about half of all of these incredible destinations.

Photo: farahramos.files.wordpress.com

4. The Control Freak

I already am a control freak and there is no doubt about that. My Pinterest account is a direct reflection of the way I run my life: organized and planned out, down to the very last detail. While my planner sets an agenda for my weeks, my Pinterest sets an agenda for my years. After my picture-perfect wedding, I hope to move into my picture-perfect house, which I have already taken the liberty of interior decorating via my “Home” board. My dogs will take precious Christmas card photos and my family members will receive the world’s best stocking stuffers – all thanks to my Pinterest obsession. You’re welcome, future self. 

Photo: media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com

5. The Supermodel

My “Beauty” board is like my own personal makeup artist. I consult this board for everything from what color to paint my nails when summer comes, to how to downplay a smoky-eye for a blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde. I am now a better woman for knowing that makeup from CVS is even better than makeup from Sephora. Furthermore, I am now a better woman for knowing that custom-made denim shorts on Etsy are cheaper than the same ones from Urban Outfitters. And, luckily, Pinterest also helps me put together an infinite amount of outfits for that same pair of denim shorts. Who needs Giuliana Rancic to tell you what to wear when you have your own Pinterest account?

Photo: static.qnm.it

6. The Fitness Junkie

Many people, such as myself, struggle with this category. Your very own Pinterest account can quickly become the place where diet and exercise regimens go to die. You take a look at one picture of a squat challenge with a model’s rock hard abs pictured in the background and tell yourself that your new lifestyle begins right then and there. If you stick to your goal, more power to you. If you don’t, that’s okay too, because Pinterest will always be there to motivate you. When you ever decide to actually do one of your pinned workouts, at least you’ll know you have a lot to choose from.

Photo: vault.hybrid-design.com

7. The Dreamer

This where I like to pin when I am deep in thought. When I am thinking about how I feel that day, or thinking about what I wish I were doing instead of sitting in the middle of good ol’ Ohio, I go to this board.  It’s titled, “Day Dreaming.” On a rainy day, I might pin a picture of a shy girl sitting on the beach, her toes in the sand and a book in her lap. On a day where I am missing my best friends and our summer adventures, I would probably pin a picture of four joyful teenagers jumping off the side of a pier into a lake, without a care in the world. There is a moment captured on Pinterest for nearly every mood that I feel, which is what makes logging on every day so enjoyable.

Photo: 24.media.tumblr.com 

If you feel how I feel about Pinterest, then I am so glad that I have kindred spirits somewhere out there. However, remember that this all means nothing if you don’t use the site to your advantage to get out there and do/see/feel at least some of the things that you keep pinning. Oh, and one more thing… Follow me! :) 

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano