Bye-Bye Hannah Montana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We all knew her as the adorable and bubbly 11 year old girl who captivated the world in her role as Hannah Montana. Young girls idolized her all over the world, and soon everyone was entranced with the talented and innocent Miley Cyrus. She was the picturesque Disney child star. But due to recent events such as the VMA’s and her controversial music videos, it seems like we can all say goodbye to Hannah Montana. 

In the past year, Miley Cyrus has shocked the world with her style transformation. It all started when the first Instagram picture was uploaded of the star cutting almost all her hair off to show a bold, bleach blonde pixie style cut. The tabloids were all intrigued by her new style. Some people missed the sweet and innocent Disney star they used to know and love, but most embraced the stars bold and edgy style. 

The release of her new hit single We Can’t Stop, which first aired over the summer, made a huge impression on her fans. People were shocked by the stars provocative style, and controversial lyrics. Miley is seen in the video in tight revealing white spandex, dancing or I should say twerking, suggestively. Lyrics like “And everyone in line in the bathroom, trying to get a line in the bathroom,” raised suspicion that she was referring to possible cocaine use. The catchy hook line, “we like to party, dancing with Miley,” is also believed to be a reference to the popular drug Molly. 

When it was announced that Miley would be performing at the VMA’s, people were excited and interested to see what Miley was going to bring to the table. However, people got a lot more than Miley’s new edgy and provocative style. Miley performed her single We Can’t Stop followed by Robin Thicke’s single Blurred Lines, and audiences couldn’t believe what they saw. 

Starting off in a tight leotard, Miley then stripped down to a nude bra and underwear. During the performance she danced inappropriately on stage. Throughout the performance she twerked and grinded on Thicke, used a giant foam finger to insinuate sexual acts, and for some reason could not keep her tongue inside her mouth where it belonged.

People were appalled at what they saw, and embarrassed for Miley. Her performance not only upset her fans, but the editor and chief of Vogue, Anna Wintour, who made the executive decision to remove Miley from the cover of the magazine’s December issue. 

If fans didn’t think the star could get any more scandalous, Miley’s new video proved them wrong. A few days ago, Miley released the music video her next sing, “Wrecking Ball.” The ballad deals with loss and heartbreak, topics that many of her fans can easily relate to. In the video, a raw and emotional Miley expressed her pain and anger by making out with a hammer and riding a wrecking ball in the nude. 

Despite the nudity and explicit acts in the video, she seems quite vulnerable and exposed. Could this be a cry for help? Or is she just trying to make an unforgettable impression?