Best Twitter Accounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

1. @Lord_Voldemort7 — The Dark Lord
                 Although Harry Pottermay be over for the books and films (sniffle), the magic is still alive within all of us, including all over the Internet. The Dark Lord’s feed is full of snarky comments always being something HP-related. With an undertone of anger, The Dark Lord is equal parts half hilarious, half irritated dead evil wizard. Being an HP nerd, this is a twitter feed close to my heart.

2. @charliemcdowell — Charlie McDowell
                 Charlie McDowell is not just your average Joe on twitter. His tweets are letters directed to the girls who live in the apartment above him, also know as GAM (girls above me). Each tweet is something one of these girls said, added in with McDowell’s personal opinion. This is a laugh-out-loud worthy follow, but it makes me worry about the intelligence of the typical twenty-something female.

3. @90sgirlproblem — 90s Girl Problems
                 Everything that you missed about your favorite decade (well, mine at least) is available in this totally rad twitter feed. Decked with a photo of Kimmy Gibbler, 90s Girl Problems brings back the nostalgia. This feed is full of *NSYNC vs. Backstreet Boys, Oregon Trail, outdated catch phrases (read: talk to the hand, as if!) and favorite TV shows we all wish would come back (especially Full House references). 90s Girl Problems will take you straight back to your childhood—Tamagatchi hanging off your JanSport backpack and all.

4. @OU_Problems — OU_Problems
                 OU_Problems was only created this past Tuesday, and already has over 2,00 followers (2,573 when I checked today). This feed offers us our daily bit of things that are only true to Ohio University students. Being the most retweeted account in my timeline, OU_Problems deals with everything from classes, university orgs and even the bar scene. If you don’t understand, you’re not a Bobcat.

5. @_Snape_ — Professor Snape
                Yes, it may not be fair to include two Harry Potter-related feeds in here, but I couldn’t resist. There are many Snape accounts, but this one is by far the best. With a similar tone to The Dark Lord’s page, Snape ups the ante by keeping character. Almost every tweet is strictly Snape-related and hones the perfect condescending tone—even if it’s just text on a screen.

6. @ThoughtCatalog — Thought Catalog
                 Defining themselves as “A digital mag for culture. A catalog of thought,” Thought Catalog is the perfect feed for any range of emotions you may be feeling. The tweets describe the story, and link you to Thought Catalog’s website. When wanting a laugh, the authors write funny stories; when needing a good cry, the authors write sob stories. The various authors who write for Thought Catalog are good at writing and know how to make all their thoughts relatable.

7. @OHnewsroom — Overheard Newsroom

Calling all journalists, this twitter feed is for you! Although I am still just a student journalist, this page is hilariously true for all and any journalists. People send in quips they’ve heard in their own newsroom and this account tweets it. Ranging from editor to writer dialogue to editor woes to quotes from interviewees, this feed captures the essence of being a journalist and brings up some of those WTF moments we don’t know how to deal with.

8. @hipsterproblems — Hipster Problems

Being defined as a hipster is something that has come up many times in recent pop culture. Whether you take it as a compliment or an insult, there is that one friend in their American Apparel hoodie saying they discovered that band and don’t listen to them now that they’ve gone mainstream. Take that pretentiousness and multiply it by 10, and you’ve got Hipster Problems. Being completely serious, yet mocking the typical hipster, this feed will surely remind you of that one friend.

9. @collegeprobs — Collegeproblems

Essentially the inventor of the hashtag, #collegeproblems, this account was created by a Boston University student who is able to hone the ideals and incidents every college student experiences at one time or another. Although this feed may not be 100 percent relatable to OU, it captures the essence of what being a college student means and throws in the hilarious mishaps that occur along the way.

10. @FakeAPStylebook — Fake AP Stylebook

This is another account for all journalists. Being a devoted follower of the AP Stylebook, it is strange to have anyone mock what all journalists consider important. However, Fake AP Stylebook takes the seriousness of how to spell and style words for stories and brings a sarcastic tone to it. Reminding all journalists that it is not the end of the world if you don’t know how to style something. Just be careful not to use these tips when actually writing a story.

Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.