Athens Food Wars: Battle of the Best Burger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Athens is known for a lot of things: the beautiful campus, fest season, and the food! There’s no denying that a Bobcat will never go hungry with all of the delicious options we have. In the war of all Athens’ food, each restaurant must first win a battle. This is the battle of Athens’ best burger (excuse me as I drool).

Forget about McDonald’s, Burger King, or Wendy’s. In Athens, if you want a good great hamburger, you’ll either go to Jackie O’s, Pigskin, or The Pub.

A delicious hamburger is more than just ground beef on a bun. It’s all about the flavors and the extras that make the burger. All three of these restaurants have something that makes their burgers more special than the rest.

Jackie O’s

Jackie O’s is best known for having locally-sourced food and a “Farm to Table” cooking style. All of its burger ingredients are grown fresh at Barrel Ridge Farm, which is their own. The fresh ingredients are just a complement to their perfectly-sized burgers. Not too big, but not so small that you’re still hungry afterward. Jackie O’s is definitely the place to take your parents when you want them to treat you to a great meal.

Burger recommendation: Athens’ Own Cheeseburger

The Pigskin

Pigskin is home of the monster burger. All of its burgers are 8 oz. patties, but that’s not all you’ll get. Pigskin’s burger menu gives diners so many options to choose from.

“The Brew Burger is one of the most popular burgers. Mostly because of the beer cheese sauce and bacon. Everyone loves bacon,” says Pigskin server Jaynina Lujan. Some of the other creative burgers include the BBQ Pork Burger, the Veggie Burger, and the Frisco Burger. On Tuesdays you can get one of the delicious burgers for only $6.99.

Burger recommendation: Cowboy Burger

The Pub

The Pub has always been a favorite for both locals and students. Most students know The Pub for its nightlife scene, but during the day, it is the home of Beer Cheese Soup and famous burgers. The Pub lives up to its name. It is a smaller restaurant with either bar or booth seating, but don’t let its appearance fool you. The Pub has been voted Best Burger by The Athens News almost every year, but why? One reason could be its use of locally grown beef and fresh ingredients, much like Jackie O’s.

Burger recommendation: Steak Burger

And the winner is…

Who am I to disagree with The Athens News? The Pub was voted 2015’s Best Burger and wins the Battle of the Best Burger in the Athens Food Wars. It was close between The Pub and Jackie O’s, but after the fire on West Union, Jackie O’s has been serving a limited menu. While Pigskin does have a more diverse set of burgers, they can be messy and sometimes all you want is a good, quality, bacon cheeseburger. The Pub also wins for its prices. The most expensive burger on the menu is the Sloppy Ben, which is $6.50 for two quarter-pound burgers with cheese, bacon, mushrooms, sauce and onion rings. If you want a great burger for a bargain, The Pub is the place to go.

Tweet us @HerCampusOhioU and tell us your favorite Athens burger place!

Born and raised in Baltimore, I am a die hard Ravens fan, food lover, and TV fanatic. I am a senior at Ohio University studying News and Information Journalism. I love writing with a twist, a little flair, and a lot of sarcasm.Twitter: @ayychain
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).