Amber James ’08: Entertainment Journalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Job Title: Reporter at Us Weekly
Major: Journalism
Graduation Year: 2008
Hometown: New Philadelphia, OH
Twitter Handle: @ajames08

We all love reading and gossiping about celebrity news. But did you ever think it could be your future career? That’s exactly what happened to former Bobcat Amber James! She was obsessed with entertainment journalism when she landed her first internship at CosmoGIRL! Magazine, where she got to interview The Jonas Brothers and attend a few red carpet events. From that moment, she was hooked and set her sights on turning that passion into her next job. Since then, Amber’s worked for major entertainment news sites, including AOL and Celebuzz, and interviewed dozens of high-profile celebrities, such as Gerard Butler, Beyonce and Brad Pitt. Now the Us Weekly reporter is sharing her secrets to success and giving us the scoop on what it takes to become a great entertainment journalist.

Her Campus: What’s a typical day like for an entertainment reporter?
Amber James: Every day is different. Sometimes I’m investigating big celeb news stories and trying to find new original scoops. Other days, I’m doing celeb interviews at red carpet movie premieres and after parties.

HC: What’s the secret to an amazing red carpet interview?
AJ: Be aggressive. Sometimes on a red carpet there are more than 100 media outlets, so you have to give these celebs a reason to want to talk with you.

HC: What’s the best part about your job?
AJ: Being paid to do what I love. I’ve always been interested in celebrity news, and now I’ve found a way to get paid to do it!

HC: What’s one of your favorite celebrity interviews?
AJ: Mine would have to be Brad Pitt. There were a ton of reporters at the Megamind premiere in NYC, and when it came my turn, a German video crew tried to interfere with my interview. Brad stopped them and said, “Please wait your turn. I’m speaking with this beautiful lady right here.” (Sorry, Angelina Jolie!) Since then, he’s been my favorite celebrity in Hollywood.

HC: What’s one thing about your industry you wish you knew when you were starting out?
AJ: Connections are everything. Meet everyone, get their number or email and stay in touch. You never know when you may need them for a story or a job recommendation.

HC: What skills or experiences helped you become a successful entertainment journalist?
AJ: Being passionate and never turning down an opportunity. Transcribing an interview may not be the best assignment when you’re an intern, but you can learn a lot from it. Plus, showing you can take on small tasks–and do them well–will make you more desirable when editors need someone to cover events or help with bigger stories. You won’t be interviewing Jennifer Aniston on your first week–or first year–as an entertainment journalist. But if you help your editor with the little things, you’ll be the one sent to cover those bigger stories. (My editor eventually let me interview Aniston at The Bounty Hunter movie junket!)

HC: What are some of your favorite pastimes from Ohio University or Athens?
AJ: One of my favorite pastimes was sitting at Donkey Coffee, sipping on a latte (or three) while studying or catching up with friends. After dark, you could usually find me at Tony’s. Trust me, you can’t find those “hot nuts” anywhere else in the world.

HC: What organizations were you involved with at OU?
AJ: I worked at The Post for four years, working as everything from a culture reporter to General Assignment Editor. It’s great experience, even if you don’t see yourself working for a newspaper. Clips and experience go a long way.

HC: What’s your best advice for collegiettes that want to break into entertainment journalism?
AJ: Make connections with OU grads who are already in the field. They might be able to help you track down a great internship or even a job.

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.