The 7 Stages of Move-In Day at Ohio University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

(Main photo: theramblingsofagirl.files.wordpress.com)

Buckle up, Bobcats. It’s that time of year again. Over the course of a week, thousands of us run around campus laughing, crying, sweating, and doing some heavy lifting to complete the move-in process. Whether you love or hate move-in day, every single one of us is bound to experience similar emotions as we embark on another school year here in the homeland.

1. You wake up in your bed at home for the last time for the next several months. Sure, you lay there and savor it for a few minutes because it feels heavenly, but there’s no time for sleeping in… IT’S MOVE-IN DAY!!

2. The car is nearly packed and, at this point, you’re just ready to GTFO of there. As if being thirty minutes behind schedule wasn’t agonizing enough, your father is sporting an “OU DAD” shirt and your mom is already crying.

3. Several hours have passed in the car and just when you think you’re about to jump ship, you catch a glimpse of that very first “ATHENS, OH” road sign (!!!!!!). Yes, there is a God.

4. Your loaded SUV makes a swift turn off of the highway and before you know it, the tires under you are rolling over the nostalgic bricks of Court Street, creating a rhythmic rumble that you didn’t even realize you missed.

5. You’re running through the hallway (dodging grumpy parents and students in Go Green shirts) to grab yet another box from your car, you run into an all-too-familiar smiling face… IT’S YOUR ROOMIE. Naturally, you squeeze the life out of each other and maybe happy cry a little bit.

6. Around this time, your parents begin to feel like you’ve officially left the nest, and that they aren’t quite needed here anymore. For a split second, all of your euphoric emotions become clouded by homesickness, and you have to say goodbye.

7. That was sad and all, but immediately afterwards, you start receiving texts from your friends about which houses on Mill are having parties and which bars have specials that night. Queue the celebrations, the reunions, and the drunken Goodfellas. Welcome hOUme, Bobcats!

All GIFs: giphy.com

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano