kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Little Things to Polish Off Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

FOUR WEEKS LEFT OF THE SEMESTER. *heavy breathing*

Deny it all you want, but the statement above is most certainly true.

You powered through the months of September to December, excited by the newness of the year, and winter break provided much-needed R&R after taking some excruciating final exams. The chilliness of January and February faded away into a pleasant spring break, and was soon preceded by a flourish of green in March.

However, you find yourself flipping through your Lilly Pulitzer planner and wondering where the days went. What about that off-campus bar you have been telling yourself you would check out? What about that LinkedIn profile you kept saying you would create? Where are you going to work over the summer for that extra cash you desperately need? So much to do, so little time!

Accepting that procrastination may have won this time is the first step. But, no worries! There are still a few steps you can take in the upcoming weeks to regain control of your life and achieve a flawless transition into summer break.

Keep that planner open and jot down a few of these necessary tasks that will help to polish off the semester:

1. Spring cleaning!

Eight months of school may have taken a toll on your dorm room so, it might be time to check under the bed and in the back crevices of the closet for that cute crop top you think you lost during Homecoming. Giving your room a good sweep, dust, and de-clutter will refresh the space and your mind. You’ll thank yourself when it’s time to gather your crap and move out for the summer.

2. Finally go to that bar/restaurant/boutique/coffee shop you’ve had your eye on.

We all have that place on campus we’ve been dying to scope out. Do it now or you’ll have to wait months! Maybe make the outing into a girls’ night as a last hoorah to the semester.

3. Book your summer getaway.

That summer-before-college road trip to Daytona you and your best friends never went on? Yeah, well, it’s happening now! Don’t be that person that waits until the last minute to book a hotel and ends up in a dive motel with bed bugs and no A/C. Crack open the piggybank and get on Expedia.

4. Define the Relationship.

The time has come to figure out how you and your new college beau will stay in touch over the summer. If your hometowns are far away from each other, having a conversation about planning weekend visits, FaceTime dates, or long phone calls is super important. You also need to define how committed you will remain to one another. This goes for your current friends with benefits as well. Have a conversation about how you expect the summer to affect your relationship and if you wish to continue your casual hookups when school is back in session. Whatever the case, get your love life in check and DTR.

5. Update your résumé.

You have been putting this off for months. Don’t even lie.

6. Prepare for your summer job/internship.

Going back home might mean going back to your humdrum job at the mall. If you’re totally dreading it, get the applications rolling for a new job ASAP. Search for a slightly more professional job at a business that hires college kids. If you’re going to be interning, get cracking on researching the company and learning its ins and outs. There’s no better feeling than feeling especially prepared. Buying a new pair of heels for your strut in on the first day will also boost your confidence.

7.  Figure out what the heck is going on in your classes.

You probably forgot the Persian Wars and the Kreb Cycle even existed. Take a few minutes each night to look over your notes from months ago. Refreshing yourself a little bit here and there in each class will make studying for finals a little less painful.

Four more weeks, people.

All GIFs: giphy.com

Cover photo: keepcalmandposters.com

This section is blank.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano