5 Books to Read before the Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Mocking Jay: Part One premiered in theaters November 21 and it was already grossed $158 million. While some eagerly wait to find out what will happen in part two, those who have read The Hunger Games series already know what will happen in the final part of the trilogy.

It’s a common phenomenon in Hollywood, making movies out of successful book series. For example Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Fifty Shades of Grey, and any of Nicholas Sparks’ books all had great sales in the bookstore and in theaters.

The downside of turning a book into a movie is hearing from “those people.” You know who I’m talking about. Those people who judge you for only seeing the movie and not reading the books first. So to avoid that annoying conversation, here’s a list of books that are set to become movies within the next year. Happy reading!

Paper Towns by John Green

If you follow Cara Delevingne on Instagram, you would know that they are currently filming the theatrical version of John Green’s Paper Towns. This comes from the same author who wrote The Fault in Our Stars. Former kiddie rockstar Nat Wolff plays Q, who has always had a crush on Margo (Delevingne). One night she enlists his help in seeking revenge on her cheating boyfriend. Margo takes Q on an adventure and teaches him how to live.

The Secret Life of Houdini by William Kalush and Larry Sloman

If you’ve ever been a fan of magic, you know who the great Harry Houdini was. The biography The Secret Life of Houdini by William Kalush and Larry Sloman explores the iconic magician’s life and career. For the movie, Johnny Depp will play Houdini. I couldn’t think of a better choice for the role.

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates

Blonde, written by Joyce Carol Oates, is different than most Marilyn Monroe books. This one takes the inner monologue of Monroe as she began as Norma Jean Baker. Jessica Chastain will play Marilyn Monroe. While the novella-esque novel is rather long, it is worth the league for people who are fascinated with the iconic Monroe.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

The novel written by Nick Hornby will feature a star studded cast with Aaron Paul, Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collette, and Imogen Poots. A Long Way Down is the story of four people that meet on top of a building on New Year’s Eve and become a surrogate family for one another. Check out the trailer here.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

A very popular category for Hollywood to make movies from, including The Maze Runner, is young adult sci-fi. Baby faced Dylan O’Brien will star as Thomas, a young man who lives in a fantasy world named Glade. Thomas and a group of other boys must solve the mystery of “the maze” while watching out for the dangers that lurk within. Watch the trailer here.

Have books we missed? Tweet us @hercampusohiou!

Born and raised in Baltimore, I am a die hard Ravens fan, food lover, and TV fanatic. I am a senior at Ohio University studying News and Information Journalism. I love writing with a twist, a little flair, and a lot of sarcasm.Twitter: @ayychain
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).