11 Reasons Why a Dog is a Better Friend Than a Human

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Sure, we all really love our human friends. But sometimes all you need is your dog.

1. They’re better at cuddling.

From the silky, pillow-like softness of their fur to the way they curl up next to you by any means necessary, there is no better cuddle buddy than a dog. You may not always want a human by your side, but you could always use a pooch at your feet.

Photo: tumblr.com

2. Their face is always cute no matter what mood they’re in.

Their mouth won’t form a hard line when you say something bitchy, nor will their nose crinkle up when they hear something they don’t like. The doggie smile and the puppy eyes will forever be intoxicating.

Photo: media.mnn.com

3. They don’t talk.

It is pretty nice to be able to complain to someone about how horrible your day was without getting an unsympathetic eye roll afterward, and also without being told that there are bigger problems in the world than the coffee stain on your shirt.

Photo: dogtemperament.com

4. They will literally eat ANYTHING you ask them to.

Your human best friend may not want to binge on leftover cheeseburgers or a pint of vanilla ice cream, but your dog sure will. After eating whatever you and your furry friend were craving, they won’t discuss how many empty calories you both just consumed; rather, they will just bask in the glory of your food coma with you.

Photo: staticflickr.com

5.  They make you want to exercise.

We all know its pretty rare if your friend actually texts you and says, “Hey, let’s work out!” Meanwhile, your eager little pup will just sit by the front door and look cute until you feel too bad for ignoring him/her. Grab the leash, and definitely don’t forget the doggy bag.  

Photo: zastavki.com

6. They’re the perfect shotgun-rider.

Dogs are always up for an adventure, and they look so damn cute with their heads out the window and their tongues flapping in the wind. Plus, they won’t make you turn off your favorite driving music, and they certainly won’t be an annoying backseat driver.

Photo: trainertrishwamsat.wordpress.com

7. They always photograph well.

Whether they’re sitting on the couch, begging for a treat or sprawled out in the front yard, pups are always ready for their close up. The selfie of you and your pooch is a way better screensaver than the half-blurry picture of you and your drunken human friend anyway.

Photo: petspeopleandlife.wordpress.com

8. They help you meet tons of new people.

When there is a happy little mutt heading in your direction on the sidewalk, you can’t resist stopping and giving it a pat on the head or a scratch on the back. Dog lovers are the best kind of people, which means that your canine companion will find a way to introduce you to some of the coolest people you’ll ever meet.

Photo: toptailsdogwalking.com

9. They won’t feel left out if you bring another friend into the mix.  

The only thing that is better than one puppy is two puppies. Having more than one best friend can get a little messy when one feels inferior to another, but two dogs will become attached to each other equally as much as they become attached to you.

Photo:technomarketer.typepad.com

10. They never judge you.

A human would generally look at you weird or make a snarky comment if your hair is out of whack or if you forgot to put on deodorant. On the contrary, dogs lick the sweat off your forehead after a workout, still chew your shoes even when smell, and are happy to see you no matter what you look like.

Photo: animals-nature.com

11. They love you unconditionally.

Your dog could get mad at you for leaving them to run errands, taking them to the vet, or clipping their toenails, but they don’t. They could get mad at you for bringing a cat into the family or buying the wrong flavor of treats, but they don’t. The single best thing about your relationship with your dog is that nothing will ever ruin it, because they are just happy that someone loves them as much as you do.

Photo: boredpanda.com

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).