10 Ways to Bring Christmas Spirit to Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Thanksgiving break is coming up, which actually means that everyone has begun to go full-on Christmas mode. You’re not as crafty as the girl down the hall and can’t bake cookies like the girl in your Chem class… so what can you do to deck the halls? Here are some simple tips to keep up with the rest of campus as we prepare for the most wonderful time of the year!

1. Turn your door into a snowman

It’s kind of like building one in the front yard at home; you can still gloat to your neighbors about how yours is prettier.

2. Play Christmas music

All day. Every day. In your room. In the shower. In the hallway. Out the window. Make sure everyone knows Christmas is coming.

Aaaand when your floormates tell you to turn it off…

3. Hang stockings

“And all the stockings were hung, by the minifridge with care

In hopes that home-cooked meals, soon would be there…”

4. Get your roommate an early Christmas present

Or two. Or three. Or ten. However many it takes for her to forget about you eating her last box of Pizza Rolls.

5. Put up lots of Christmas lights

If you can’t reach your ceiling then you now have a perfectly good excuse to talk to the tall, dark, and handsome boy down the hall…

6. Make a personalized Christmas tree

Decorate it with things that you and your roommate appreciate to remind each other that, for this year, you’re each other’s own little family.

7. Add a countdown to your white board.

Naturally freak out more and more each time you write a new number up there.

8. Burn a Christmas scented candle

If you can sneak it past your RA, try Yankee Candle’s “Christmas Cookie.” Your nostrils won’t be able to handle it.

9. Cut out snowflakes

We try this every year and it’s way harder than it looks. If you can’t make the perfect snowflake, don’t be hard on yourself, just…

10. Organize a Secret Santa with your floormates!

But when it’s your turn to pick, you get that one girl…

But get her something nice and thoughtful anyway because…

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).