This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

1.  Watch your bags.  You may hear that pickpocketing happens frequently in Europe and especially in tourist areas – whatever you do, don’t take this lightly. This goes for any popular city. I studied in Barcelona which happens to be the highest rated city for pickpocketing. The city is flawless, but unfortunately so are the skills of the notorious thieves that prey on tourists. Watch yourself in large crowds. Half of the people in my program had a phone or wallet stolen while on the trip, including myself. It can happen even when you think you’re being careful about it. Be cautious!

Photo: worldnomads.com

2.  Pack light on weekend trips (or take a decent sized carry-on).  Chances are (especially if you’re studying in Europe) you’ll end up traveling on the weekends. I highly recommend it. Why not fly to Ireland, France, or Prague for the weekend when you have the chance? When you do, keep this in mind: you might regret bringing your whole closet when you’re trying to stuff those gifts you just couldn’t resist into your backpack. The more you feel you might want to bring back, the more “extra space” you should try to leave in your luggage. I know it’s hard, especially for us girls who need every option of clothing. But some airlines can be sticklers about that 10 kilogram weight restriction and even the size of your bag. Check the airline’s site before you head to the airport.

3.  Eat it ALL with no shame.  Let’s say you’re in Italy, and you want their unbelievable gelato after every meal. Go for the gold. In fact, why not make it a triple scoop? Or maybe you’re in Spain with incredible tapas surrounding you on every corner. No regrets here. Do yourself a huge favor and experience each country’s food without feeling bad about it. Sure, I love American food. But it has nothing on a tortilla Española, a Spanish omelet. Indulging in the food will teach you a few things about the culture, too.

4.  Get lost in your own city.  There’s nothing better than getting lost, better yet, getting lost in the city where you’re studying. This is your temporary home, so take advantage of it. Explore a new part of town, and take time to let yourself get to know your surroundings. Things will become more familiar in time, but you have to expose yourself to more than just where you go to school and sleep at night.

5.  Travel if you have the time.  If you have the opportunity, allow yourself to see more of this world. There is so much out there…more than you imagine. At first, I couldn’t believe how cheap it was to travel around Europe. They say travel is the most valuable possession. This holds 100% true. And in addition to all that sightseeing, we discover things about ourselves along the way.

6.  Take pictures. Take lots of them.  So what if you look like a total tourist while doing this? Learn to not care, and embrace it.  In fact, work that camera. These are views and moments you’ll never be able to relive – at least not at this age under the same circumstances. Years down the road (or the moment you arrive back home) you’ll want to look back at them. They have that strange power to bring you back to an exact place or feeling, and they’ll always bring you a smile.

7.  Don’t trust everyone you meet.  Believe it or not, gypsies are everywhere! (They even have signs to warn tourists about them in popular areas). Don’t underestimate them or their scams. I know you’re tempted to trust that “nice” woman that’s insistent to help you, but be careful. If something seems off, chances are it is. Some might offer to take your photo in front of a famous monument. At first you’ll think it’s out of pure generosity, but don’t be fooled.

8.  Meet locals. Live like them, too.  They will show you the real city, the one behind the typical tourist attractions and famous pictures. Be open to everything. Chances are the locals of the city live their lives differently than you do. Little do you know, you will learn from them in the end. Soon, you’ll begin to see things from a different perspective. It will change the way you live life! Embrace the cultural differences and live like the locals. This is what emerging into a new culture is all about.

9.  Learn the local language.  So you’re living in a foreign country where they speak an entirely different language… what do you do? Learn! It’s not easy, even for those with experience. It’s actually pretty frustrating at first, but learn to be patient with yourself. Open up to the language. Maybe take some basic level classes to expand your vocabulary. But even without the classes, you have a golden opportunity in your hands. Practice the language at the local supermarket near your place, at your favorite café, or at restaurants.

10.  Go with your gut & say “YES” more often.  Being in a foreign country isn’t easy when you’re used to an entirely different culture or way of life. Trust yourself and your instincts. They’re universal. But also keep an unbiased and curious mindset. It’s all about the balance. Remember that you’re on a trip of a lifetime, so take chances and include the word “yes” more often in your vocabulary. I promise you won’t regret it.

Abby is a senior studying strategic communication & Spanish at OU. She creatively blogs, writes and tweets for HCOU! Check her out on Insta: @abbygryzik
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano