10 Cancelled TV Shows I Want Back NOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Fools! Idiots! That’s often what I yell when I find out a show that I love has been cancelled by studio big wigs. Take the newest ABC show to get the axe, Selfie. Yes, I judged the concept of Selfie before I watched it, but after six episodes, I can admit that I was wrong. Now that ABC is pulling the plug on the romantic comedy, I’m thinking more and more about the other shows that were gone before their time.

10. Kyle XY (ABC Family)

Who could ever forget the kid without a belly button? After three seasons, the show ended due to a decrease in ratings. It also ended with a ton of cliffhangers. Viewers had just found out that Cassidy is Kyle’s real father and then that’s it. ABC Family could have given us one more chance to look at Matt Dallas and answer a few questions like, what was up with Kyle and Jessi?

9. The 4400 (USA)

The show was a favorite in my house. The 4400 was a combination of the X-Files and X-men. Granted, the show did take a strange turn when a baby suddenly turned into a young-adult over a week, but that’s not too shocking in a sci-fi program. This is another show that left me with several unanswered questions after its cancellation. At least I had Heroes to fall back on…until 2010.

8. My Name is Earl (NBC)

There are rumors that Greg Garcia, creator of the show, connected My Name is Early to his newest show Raising Hope. Well Greg, that’s not good enough for me. I loved watching Earl and his friends get into crazy situations while trying to right is past wrongs. This show introduced me to the whole idea of karma.

7. Ghost Whisperer (CBS)

I will admit that I did stop watching this show when Aisha Tyler’s character became a ghost herself. According CBS execs, the show’s ratings dropped and the network cut the show to make room for other projects. I’m still disappointed because that’s a show that could go on forever. The plot lines are so similar but the characters were always different.

6. Heroes (NBC)

Ah Heroes. For so long, this was my mom and I’s favorite show. I often contemplate going back and re-watching the series on Netflix, then I remember how it ended. As soon as the series brought in the carnies, I was done. I clearly wasn’t the only one who lost interest. The fourth season premiere was the lowest rated episode for the series. Sometimes I still mutter “save the cheerleader, save the world” in honor of Hiro Nakamura.

5. Pushing Daises (ABC)

This show took me a while to remember, but once I did, I couldn’t forget all of the adorable, funny, and uniquely amazing moments. How can a show that won 12 Primetime Emmy Awards (and star Kristin Chenoweth) get cancelled? I guess it was hard to compete with all of the other cop and medical dramas that were also on air. Pushing Daises is the kind of show that if a movie was made (just to wrap up all of the show’s loose ends), I would see it in a heartbeat.

4. Ugly Betty (ABC)

Ugly Betty was all things quirky and perfection. America Ferrera’s portrayal of Betty Suarez changed the game for all awkward girls. Once this show moved to ABC’s Friday night slot, you knew that was the kiss of death. The show ended with a very rushed and disappointing finale. While fans would love to see a movie in the works, it doesn’t look like that’s happening anytime soon. I mean, it’s been almost five years.

3. Angel (The WB)

I know, this show is so old that the network isn’t even called that anymore. After watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer it was only right that I watch Angel next. Well, I just finished Angel two days ago on Netflix and I already miss it even though the show ended 10 years ago. This is one show that I’m actually not mad about the finale. Angel ended perfectly, in a battle of good versus evil for the city of Los Angeles. What makes me most sad about Angel was its potential for more seasons. Also, I was secretly hoping Buffy would come back and turn Angel into Angelus one more time, for old time’s sake.

2. Arrested Development (FOX)

Before anyone starts, yes, I am aware that Netflix did another season of AD. Too bad I hated it more than FOX’s cancellation. While the fourth season was still funny, it ended on a cliffhanger. Not cool. In early August, Will Arnett told Jimmy Fallon that a fifth season is in fact happening. Until I start seeing some on set selfies, I’ll just remain heartbroken.

1. Happy Endings (ABC)

While most of the actors on Happy Endings have found success on other shows (Eliza Coupe on Benched, Damon Wayans Jr. on New Girl, Adam Pally on The Mindy Project, and Casey Wilson on Marry Me) I was really hoping that USA or even VH1 would pick this show up. The humor was effortless and the dialogue was real. I thought the cast would be unstoppable together. Unfortunately, ABC really screwed up the scheduling for the third season which resulted in lower ratings and its cancellation. Vulture called it “one of the worst TV decisions” of the 2012-2013 season.

Have a cancelled TV show you just LOVE?! Rant to us on Twitter at @hercampusohiou or email us at hercampusohiou@gmail.com!

Born and raised in Baltimore, I am a die hard Ravens fan, food lover, and TV fanatic. I am a senior at Ohio University studying News and Information Journalism. I love writing with a twist, a little flair, and a lot of sarcasm.Twitter: @ayychain
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).