You Don’t Have to be High to Enjoy Pink Floyd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

This is a bit of a weird topic to be writing about because there are many people who don’t know who Pink Floyd is. And some of those who do know who they are utterly weirded out by their music. Does this song ring a bell?

Like anything controversial in this world, there are mixed reactions across the board to the music of Pink Floyd. It is widely believed that the only way you can stand to listen to this music is by smoking a big joint and blasting it so loud that you cannot hear your own thoughts. This is understandable in some aspects, such as the fact that 364 people were arrested at an L.A. concert in 1975 for marijuana possession.

I can also understand that their music is the kind that grows on you. It grew on me. But for others, that is simply not true.

Pink Floyd is considered one of the best classic rock bands of all time. Their most successful album, “The Dark Side of the Moon,” was on the Billboard Top 100 (Best Album) for nine years. NINE YEARS. A plethora of people still listen to it, young and old, high and sober. In my opinion, I don’t think an album or artist, that famous would need to rely on the entire weed-smoking population to thoroughly enjoy.

Source: Giphy

A movie made entirely based off of one their albums, “The Wall,” is a compelling and horrifying account of a troubled rock star who traps himself in an emotional wall to escape the pain he’s gone through but just ends up going insane. The film’s sound components are only the music of the album and a few sound effects since the album can stand alone as a story. A friend of mine claims that the sole method of understanding the plot is to get high, but my father believes it just takes a few focused watching sessions to truly comprehend everything that’s happening.

My point is that Pink Floyd and marijuana are not a married couple, are not dependent upon each other, and should be treated as separate experiences. There are quite a few people (including me) who have never partaken in weed and love Pink Floyd in all their glory.

Source: Giphy

My name is Danielle (Danni for short), and I am a transfer student here at ODU! Before I came here I wrote for Her Campus at CNU, and I was studying Computer Engineering of all things! I'm majoring in Graphic Design now, and minoring in Spanish. I also work as a delivery driver at Domino's. Besides writing I also enjoy photography, cooking, and dyeing my hair dark red!
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!