This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Okay, so I know plenty of you rolled your eyes as soon as you saw the title of this article. Transitioning to a plant based diet or what you could consider being a vegan, is said to be the new trendy thing us millennials are doing. This is more than just trend, it’s a phenomenal lifestyle change that everyone should consider. There are so many different diets people are taking on these days and to me, this is the most effective for all inhabitants on this lovely planet.

Source: Giphy

I just want to clarify the difference between a vegan and vegetarian for those who may be a tad unfamiliar. Dr. Edward Group DC defines a vegan diet as one where a person chooses not to intact any product created by an animal. Some even go to the extent of not eating things like honey, due to it being “bee throw-up”. Now, a vegetarian diet on the other hand is slightly different. Vegetarians still do not eat meat products but they may intake dairy and eggs. While a vegetarian diet is definitely a great step in the right direction, there is so many more animals and people you could save by simply cutting out dairy and eggs.

Most of you are wondering WHY you should make this transition and how exactly it will better your life and our planet. So, let’s get to the point.

The Animals!

Source: Giphy

Obviously, these creatures are the main ones who will benefit dramatically from this lifestyle change. The way that animals are treated during the farming process is horrendous. Peta claims that every vegan saves over 100 animals every year! That’s amazing! The video Dairy is f**cking scary is a phenomenal video to watch. Through her commentary, this YouTuber is able to explain the dairy industry within five minutes! It will definitely change your mind about that class of milk you are considering.

For the Environment!

Source: Giphy

So, I’m pretty sure we all know what global warming is. One thing that people fail to realize is that it’s happening a lot quicker and affecting our everyday world. Agriculture farming is absolutely terrible on our environment. Raising animals uses a lot of water, land and creates a ton of pollution, according to Peta. You also have to consider the farm to fork process. You may not think that you alone can help save the environment but that’s not true. You would be decreasing your environmental footstep tremendously.

For you!

Source: Giphy

You are the one who will benefit from this the most! You will start to see changes in yourself overall. People say that by making this change you start to feel more energized and clear headed. In my opinion, that’s true. I have not fully transitioned but the changes that I have seen in my body and well being have definitely been on the rise since I started the process. If weight gain is something that you are worried about, this transition is a great step to getting you to the “goal” body you wish to obtain.

It’ simple!

Source: Giphy

For some reason, people have put it in their heads that becoming a vegan is out of reach. For me personally, it has been a hard process because I struggled accepting the change. Being a vegan is becoming easier everyday. Veganism is on the rise and corporations see that. That means more money for them and products for you. If you do it correctly, you can honestly save tons of money by making this lifestyle change. There are literally alternatives for almost everything now. You can get vegan-friendly ice cream, like what?

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!