This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Old Dominion University is a research university located in the city of Norfolk, Virginia. It is one of the largest universities in the state and, might I add, one of the best. It’s name derives from one of the state’s many nicknames given to it for being the first and oldest of the domains for kings and queens of England. For it being so large, it does not get the credit it deserves. I mean granted, we have big top notch schools like UVA, Virginia Tech, and JMU in the same state as us. However, I believe we are on the come up. We have the diversity GMU has, the school spirit Tech has, and the urban campus lifestyle that VCU has with a “true college campus feel” that JMU has.

Source: PhotoPin

ODU has it’s problems like any other school. The area around the campus gets a bad rep because of the high crime rate, but that is to be expected when you go to school in the city and does not reflect the college in any way. In August of 2015, the ODU chapter of Sigma Nu was suspended due to sexually suggestive signs hung off the balcony of off campus houses. And in 2016, a racist video went around the internet with a girl wearing an ODU hoodie (still not known if she attended ODU). None of these actions reflect all students at the school, but merely a small percentage.

Old Dominion University takes a lot of pride in the diversity of the student population and as of 2016, has been recognized no longer as a PWI (Predominately white institution), but as a MSI (Minority serving institution). This means that over 30% of ODU’s population is comprised of minority students.

Source: PhotoPin

ODU has seen many recent expansions and renovations in student housing, athletic facilities, and academic buildings. With so many new food locations around campus including a new dining hall (that costs however many million dollars), a new basketball performance center, a new College of Education building overlooking Hampton Boulevard, our first appearance in a bowl game (Which we won btw), and the development of the art district in the Village, ODU is starting to gain many aspects that other schools have already had. Also, with the plan for a $55 MILLION DOLLAR RENOVATION, now it not a good time to sleep on Old Dominion University.

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!