Tips for Dieting and Working Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

With Summer ‘17 right around the corner diet and workout plans are about to start haunting us! Whether you’re hoping to get your summer body right, preparing for the season by eating to feel better or somewhere in between, we can relate!

Every girl wants a hot summer body so she can feel good strutting her stuff across the beach and posting her pictures on Instagram. However, ‘hot’ bodies are so overrated and almost impossible to achieve!

We see girls on Instagram and Facebook that make fitness look easy and make us feel bad for struggling to get up the stairs. And while those girls do look amazing they shouldn’t make you feel bad yourself!

About 50 million Americans diet each year and of those 50 million, around 5 percent actually keep the weight off, according to Colorado State University Extension. Many of these weight loss and food supplement programs sell Americans dreams that they’ll drop pounds and have their life transformed in a week. However, that is so far from the truth!

According to Women’s Health Magazine, the average women can only lose 3-4 pounds a week when she does a full diet and workout plan. The number varies depending on bodily factors but the moral of the story is not to believe the ads selling you dreams for three easy payments of $59.99!

While it’s not the easiest, the best way to lose and keep off weight is the old fashion way! We all know how challenging that can be so here are a few tips to make it a little easier.

Get A Gym Buddy!

Source: Gihpy

Don’t choose your BFF that you’re going to do more gossiping and checking people out with than really working out. You should go with someone who is dedicated and will motivate you to do better.

Try New Workouts!

Source: Giphy

Going to the gym can get boring if you constantly do the same things. Also, you won’t get the best results that way! It’s best to do new workouts regularly and find new ones that challenge different areas of your body.

Try New Foods!

Source: Giphy

The biggest key to changing your body is changing what you put into it. When the body doesn’t get as much calories as it’s used to, it burns fat to replace them. Switching to a healthier diet will not only make losing weight easier, it’ll improve your energy levels, skin, hair, and bodily functions. It’s important to try new foods because you won’t last long if you’re eating the same salad and fruit cup every day.

Lastly, and this one might be the most important, don’t get on the scale!!

Source: Giphy

Numbers honestly don’t matter when getting fit! As you burn fat you’ll be gaining muscle which weighs more. Scales can discourage us when we don’t see the number falling but they shouldn’t. All the truly matters is how you feel and look!

Losing weight or getting in shape is a process and something that you must truly commit to in order to be successful. Change isn’t going to happen overnight so it’s best to be patient with yourself and the process. Always remember, you’re beautiful now and losing weight will not make you any more of a gorgeously amazing person than you already are. Don’t embark on this journey to fit society’s or anyone else’s standards. EveryBODY is beautiful so don’t get down on yourself or feel like you need to change unless you’re doing it for you! 

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!