A Random Research Journey: Chunky Yarn

Posted -

I don’t know about you, but I have been seeing plenty of people on the Internet try hand-knitting. This has become a new trend in the last few months or so, after the start of the DIY trend. Knowing how to knit myself, I had some questions like, how many skeins do you need for one blanket? How much does the yarn cost? How can I find a source that I can trust?

First, I looked around for cost information. I got some wacky results.

The Google shopping results were all over the place, so I tried to search again with different terms.

The fifth link looked interesting, so I clicked on it.

Something was not right about the photo. It didn’t seem like someone could knit a blanket that big with just one skein of that yarn. But the price seems good. I looked down at this product’s reviews for more information. Just as I suspected, someone else thought that there wasn’t enough yarn, either.

I quickly realized I wasn’t getting anywhere with cost or number of skein information and turned to YouTube.

FINALLY. But I tried to click on the link she had to purchase the yarn and got stuck again.

Another YouTuber had a link that worked, and it was an Amazon Product. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qILJTySBQ

And here is the link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHFFVTM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thekurcor09-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01AHFFVTM&linkId=a70b115576e51ac37c8c7d94f79c8592

Just in case you feel the need to try this yourself.

On this research journey, I learned that you need anywhere from 6 to 8 skeins of yarn to complete a blanket like this, which I expected. I also learned that because it is an internet trend, it is selling EVERYWHERE. I’d recommend buying it from a link that you know someone else (like a YouTuber) has purchased from.

Happy hand knitting!

Title picture source: Pixabay

About The Author

My name is Danni, and I am a transfer student here at ODU! I am a Fine Arts major with a concentration in Graphic Design. Fun Fact: I was born in Japan!

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login