This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

For the longest time, Old Dominion was a PWI. As the years have progressed, ODU has branched out and opened arms to a variety of different diversities, especially the African-American culture. On Feb. 16, there was a program called Black Girls Rock. This program was hosted and sponsored by D.E.S.T.I.N.E.D, which was established to show support and acknowledgment to nine different groups and organizations for everything they’ve done for the school and for its community. Some of the groups included G.L.O.W., Beautifully Natural, Ebony Impact Gospel Choir, F.I.R.S.T and many more.

Throughout this event, it was very optimistic and upbeat. There was a sense of pride within Black culture that resonated through the whole event. It felt like being at a BET award ceremony, to say the least! Everyone was dressed to impress and came to show pride. There was an award ceremony in which each president or officer of each group presented an award to the person they felt pushed harder than ever this semester and just rocked! Everyone who came to see what this program was about gave it a sense of unity.

President Alexis Smith (left)

“Destined Stands for Determined, Educated, Sisters, taking Initiative and Encouraging Dreams” – Alexis Smith

I also had the pleasure of speaking with the president of D.E.S.T.I.N.E.D, Alexis Smith, and the vice president, Damara Hall, also gave me more insight on the event as a whole. The inspiration for the show was to show acknowledgment to different people and what they do in this community. Both women showed a passion for helping others and the community.

“We wanted to give them the recognition because they don’t get recognized a lot and we also did this with the incorporation of this being black history month!” Smith said.

(Vice President, Damara Hall)

“The reason why I joined this organization my freshman year is just because I felt that this is one of the first organization I’ve felt at home and doing the things I love!” Hall said.

As the show closed and the awards officially were finished being passed out, there were final encouraging words from the President and Vice President of D.E.S.T.I.N.E.D. and an impactful poem by the President. I can’t speak for others, but I know when I left I felt a feeling of pride within myself as African American woman. Call it cliche, but I left with the feeling of I can do anything. Despite my background, I can do just as much as anybody else, and I can also help others along the way!

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli