This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Source: GIPHY

A movement sparked by the popular comedy series, “Parks and Recreation,” Galentine’s Day is a day of celebrating your gal pals rather than a day focused on your romantic relationships. It’s meant to showcase the love you have for your friends, and Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler) always has the best Galentine’s Day gifts and celebrations. But since you are not Leslie Knope, here are a few ideas so you can have the perfect Galentine’s Day.

Source: GIPHY

Movie Night

Source: GIPHY

A good start to Galentine’s Day would be to find a movie playing that everyone wants to see. Don’t want to deal with all of the couples that have chosen the movies too? Have your own movie night! Grab that cheap, 7/11 Moscato and your favorite Oreo flavors and a couple of good people so you can curl up with a good movie. ODU’s movie streaming site, https://monarchmovies.odu.edu/#/browse, is a great place to find movies for your Galentine’s Day movie night!

Exchange Gifts

Source: GIPHY

Target has the low down on all of the good Galentine’s Day gifts this year. Get your friends a nice mug or a card telling them how much you care about them. If you celebrate Galentine’s Day after V-Day, make sure to pop into Walmart or Target for all of the Valentine’s Day candy that will be on sale. A small goodie bag for your friends is a great way to show how much you appreciate them!

Shopping Trip

Source: GIPHY

Treat yo self. If “Parks and Rec” has taught us anything (other than that we should always tell our friends how much we love them) it is to also be kind to yourself. Why not take your best friends and hit the mall together? Don’t brood alone in your room all day, get a group together and go splurge. Whoever said retail therapy doesn’t work?

Go Out to Dinner Together

Source: GIPHY

Go get a bite to eat with your best friends! It’s something so simple, but so nice. Pick one of your favorite restaurants and get a group together. Going out to eat with friends is always better than being by yourself, and this way no one feels pressured to do gifts. As long as you don’t pick a particularly expensive restaurant, this is a great, cheap way to spend some time with some of your favorite people.

These are just a few suggestions on how you can spend your Galentine’s Day. Single or not, be sure to let your friends know how much you love and support them so no one feels left out on the most romantic day of the year!

Source: GIPHY

Hello! My name is Lindsey Lanham. I go to Old Dominion Univeristy in Norfolk VA, and am currently majoring in journalism with a minor in communication. I am the marketing director for the ODU chapter. I hope to shine light on the local art and artists in Norfolk.