This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Odds are that you will be living with a roommate again or at least suitemates (eye roll). If you aren’t lucky enough to bunk up with a close friend or two, there’s a chance that you’ll end up living with people that you don’t know. This can be awkward and lead to high tensions, but fret not! Here are a few tips on how to avoid starring in the next roommate horror story.

Communicate

This is really really important. The first step to resolving any problem is addressing that there is one and the best way to do that is to communicate. If you happen to be introverted like me, then this can be intimidating. However, know that if you don’t step up and express how you’re feeling – nothing’s going to change. Always be respectful and address any issues or concerns in a civil manner and please don’t just tape a note to the wall. That’s only going to make things awkward later. Trust me.  

Source: GIPHY

Set Boundaries

Odds are – you should have signed a roommate agreement contract at the beginning of the semester. This is your opportunity to go over what you are and are not comfortable with. Whether it’s borrowing your clothes, sharing your food or who’s allowed in the room at night, these are important boundaries that need to be understood and respected. Just because your roommate is okay with you borrowing her black heels doesn’t mean that you have to be okay with her borrowing your stuff. The worst thing you could do is make it seem like she can have free range with your things if you aren’t okay with it. This will create confusion and major miscommunication issues.

Source: GIPHY

Be Open Minded

If your roommate comes to you with a concern, the best thing for you to do is listen. Don’t immediately jump to the conclusion that you’re being attacked. Try to understand where they are coming from and resolve the issue together. However, if they approach you in a hostile or aggressive way then you should report to your RA or Hall Director.

Source: GIPHY

Be Mature

Be mindful of the fact that you are in college and should act as so. Even if things take a turn for the worse, there are people that you can talk to on campus and other resources that you should utilize. Don’t be petty or cause problems for your RA or others living in your hall, apartment or house.

Source: GIPHY

Living with a new roommate can be tough, but as long as you are open and honest from the beginning, it might not be as bad as you were expecting. You never know, you might even make a new friend!