This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

By the time you go to college, you’re expected to have your whole life figured out. You’re supposed to know what you want to do for the rest of your life and how you’re going to do it. While some people have it all figured out, others don’t, and that’s okay!

Source: Giphy

You may find yourself sitting in class realizing that you don’t want anything to do with what you’re studying. You may want to change your major, but you’re scared about what your family and friends may think or that changing it may set you back. While there may be some complications, it’s okay to change your major!

In your head, taking on a certain major may sound great  but once you start to take classes or look at the curriculum, it may not sound so great anymore. The excitement you once had goes away and you realize that it isn’t for you.

Source: Imgur

When you’re not excited or interested about the course, you become disinterested in the work. That could lead to you not putting your best effort into the work or just not doing the work at all. If you’re not putting your best effort into it (or just not doing it at all), you may find your grades dropping, and then your GPA drops too. You can do all the preparation you want for a class, but if you’re not interested, it’s a lot easier to go see what your friends are up to on Facebook or watch a few episodes (or a whole season, let’s be real here) of a show on Netflix.

What you wanted to do as a high school senior applying for your dream schools may not be what you want to do now as a college student. You may get through your first year or two of college and realize that what you wanted to do when you first entered college is different from what you want to do now, and that’s okay. You’re not the only one who’s done that.

Regardless of what your reason is for wanting to change your major, it’s best to talk to your advisor before doing so. Your advisor will be able to give you the advice you need and make sure that you know what you’re getting into when you make the switch. If you do decide to change your major, it may be worth considering turning your old major into a minor, especially if you’ve already started a lot of the coursework in it.

Just remember that it’s okay to change your major. Study something you’re passionate about and you’ll be a lot happier in the long run.

Header Image: Imgur

Audra is a senior studying English with a concentration in journalism and double minoring in international studies and communications. In addition to her work with Her Campus, she also writes for ODU's newspaper, the Mace and Crown, and she's a brother of Phi Sigma Pi. When Audra isn't writing for Her Campus or the Mace and Crown, she's playing video games, reading a book or sleeping. Her favorite animal is a cat, and she really enjoys cat videos.