How “13 Reasons Why” Inspires Me As a Human Service Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Junior year is a time in our college careers where we have at least some idea of what we want after graduation. Some of us want to be doctors, lawyers or anything. I have decided that I want to major in human services. I have a multitude of things that have inspired me to want to pursue this as my major, number one being that I want to help people. Another thing that has inspired me in my decision would probably be the popular Netflix series “13 Reasons Why.” Somebody out there may think that it’s kind of silly, or crazy to base such an important decision such as a major on a TV show but let me explain my less than “13 Reasons Why…”

Increased Awareness

Source: Giphy

The series itself talks about 13 reasons why a young girl committed suicide. That in itself is a topic that not many like to talk about or try to ignore. However, this is a real issue. Throughout the courses I’ve been taking, the topic of suicide comes up very often, and I will potentially have to face situations like that. This show showed the reality of the matter, and suicide is something that is an idea that is built up over time by events that can be negatively impacting.

“We don’t know how something is going to hit someone.” – Christian Navarro as Tony.

Empathy

Source: Giphy

As we go through the episodes and we see more about why suicide became an option, it increases empathy in the viewers. When I watched the show, everything in me felt so emotionally hurt for this individual and any other person who are in a situation like this.

Relatable Situations

Source: Giphy

Another thing that stood out to me is that the character went through relatable situations that we might all have experienced. The Hot or Not list, not so flattering comments on the bathroom walls and losing friends over a guy? Sounds a little familiar? Yeah, I thought so too. Experience can be the best teacher of all and when you find something or someone who can relate it makes one feel less alone.

Help being denied

Source: Giphy

The final spark for me had to be when she reached out to her counselor. Without giving any spoilers, this individual went through a traumatic event and pretty much was shrugged off by the one person who should have been able to get her at least a little bit of help!

Source: Giphy

Not saying that if you watch the show, you will magically want to pursue the wonderful field of Human Services like me, but speaking for myself, this show has further confirmed what I want to do with my life. Eventually, I want to counsel adolescents to prevent situations like suicide from happening. I am an individual who wants to stand up to bullying and raise lowered self-esteem in individuals. Even if you aren’t like me and this isn’t your passion, I do hope that if anything it does increase awareness, empathy and helps you see that where help has gone wrong, what you can do to make it right. Everyone can make a difference no matter what they do in life, but as far as humanity is concerned, we can all do the right thing at the end of the day.

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli