For the Girl Who Doesn’t Know How to be Loved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Love is an emotion that we all crave. We want nothing more than to feel wanted, needed, and appreciated. We want someone who is just as obsessed with us as we are with them.

Source: Giphy

But, what do you do when you don’t really know how to be loved?

I am that unapologetic girl that can admit that I had NO idea how to accept someone’s love. However, one thing that I enjoy doing is loving people. See how this can be sticky?

I find myself constantly giving, over and over again, only to get hurt. I always wondered why and then one day it clicked. Anytime that anyone has tried to love me, I run, fast. The thought of relationships make me happy but as soon I as I find myself in intimate or friendly relationships, I being to wonder how fast I can get away. I have always been an independent person and always felt that people would just get in my way. If they weren’t in my way, I felt like they would never understand me or even care to. 

If you are a girl who feels like she can’t be loved, dont worry. You are not alone. Over the years, I have gained the ability to love myself and to allow others to love me as well.

Patience.

Learning to let others and love in takes A LOT of time and is not easy. You’ll probably end up hurt a few times along the way but it’s worth it. I knew that I wanted to see myself change, so I was willing to do whatever it took. I love to love people and I didn’t want to continue to hurt the ones that I cared about the most. I had to play the trial and error game to figure out the right amount of love to give out to others and when. Patience is hard but with it you can accomplish anything.

Love yourself first.

Source: Giphy

Learning this also took a lot of time and patience. Halfway through learning to be love I realized that I didn’t truly love myself. I was not content with who I was as a person. I hated myself. In turn, I felt that everyone else was going to hate me as well. Not loving yourself is a huge reason in why you will continuously push others away. You can’t expect anyone else to love you if you don’t love yourself first.

Support.

You have to come to terms that having support isn’t always a bad thing. I found myself so focused on all my dreams and goals that I failed to make time for people who actually cared about me.

Don’t be afraid to lean on your parents/guardian. They raised you and they care about you.  As much as you probably don’t want to admit it, they understand you more than anyone in the world.

Let go of fear.

Source: Giphy

One of the hardest things to do in any situation is letting go of your fears. This was extremely difficult for me because the fear of getting hurt or others not liking me weighed heavily on my subconscious. Fear can ruin many things in your life and you can miss out on so many opportunities because of it.

With all of this being said, you have the ability to be loved. February is the month of love and can be draining for everyone. You are not alone in this. You just have to be willing to change things within yourself to allow love in. Don’t rush the process. Remember Patience.

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!