This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

College is the time when everything about you seems to change, including your style. Coming to college, you may still be rocking your gear from high school and that’s fine! Throughout your college experience, those old highschool items will begin to feel less and less like you. College is a weird time in life. You’re studying, partying, taking on internships, and trying to obtain a career. Fitting your closet to match all of the things you are doing may seem impossible but I am here to tell you, it’s not! Finding your personal style will allow you to create a wardrobe that fits your needs for any event or task.

1. Find inspiration!

Source: Giphy

When trying to figure out your personal style, RESEARCH! Creep on your favorite bloggers, celebs, or just random people on the web. Look at their outfits and the individual pieces that they are wearing. This will help you figure out different looks that you like and you’ll have an idea of what to look for while shopping. My favorite thing to do is pay attention to the  mannequins in the store so that I can create similar looks.

2. Clean up!

Source: Giphy

Whether you’re revamping your style or trying to find your personal style, you NEED to clean out your closet! You should get rid of any clothes that you haven’t worn in the last year. This will help you put more focus on the things that you already own and shop for other items that could pair well with them. My style changes constantly and I partake in this step at least five times a year. Who doesn’t like a fresh start?

3. Simplicity is key!

Source: Giphy

While those statement pieces definitely will catch your eye, you should really think about how many times you will actually wear them. I tend to stick to spending money on very simple items that I can mix and match with anything. Not only does that create three times as many outfits, it also creates more versatility in my closet.

4. Think cheap!

Source: Giphy

Revamping your wardrobe can be expensive! When you are in college there are more important things to buy, like food. Although shopping can be expensive, it doesn’t have to be. I am a firm believer that you can be extremely fashionable on a budget. This is a time when you need to rely on your inspo and head to a thrift store. Don’t be afraid to DIY some items!

5. Ask for help!

Source: Giphy

Have a super fashionable friend? Ask them for help! They will probably be more than happy to help you achieve your fashion goals. Also, don’t be scared to ask your favorite bloggers or whoever inspires you for help. If you leave comments on a few of their post, some really may get back to you with advice or where they got their items. It’s all about coming out of your comfort zone.