Coming Out About Domestic Abuse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Talking about abuse can be a very hard topic, especially when you decide to come out about abuse in the relationship. Here are a few of the stages and phases you may go through

FEAR

Source: Giphy

In the beginning, it’s normal to feel fearful. If not just fearful of your ex-partner, but you can feel fear in your decision. There will be days where you will question if you’re making the right choice and that can be scary.

PAIN

Source: Giphy

It will be painful, there are going to be days where you’re just going to cry and sometimes it will be for no reason. The pain you feel will be difficult because the person who you trusted the most inflicted it on you.

POTENTIAL RELAPSE

Source: Giphy

This is normal but whatever you do, DON’T LOOK BACK! Just because your ex is familiar, the abuse will still be there and you’ll throw yourself back into a negative cycle.

ANGER

Source: Giphy

Next phase of your uncontrollable emotions will be that you’re going to feel angry. There were days for my experience where I was angry at him, at myself, and at the world because it happened.

DESPAIR

Source: Giphy

Then you’ll go back to feeling depressed in hurt and will fall into despair. They’re going to be days where you’re just going to want to stay in bed and not do anything.

SUPPORT

Source: Giphy

Eventually, you’ll realize that you need help. Whether it be your friends, school counselor or even a licensed therapist.

FORGIVENESS

Source: Giphy

Once you get through all the difficult hurdles and painful experiences through this process will begin to forgive your ex. Not necessarily want to be with them but forgive them for hurting you.

STRENGTH

Source: Giphy

Finally, you’ll find a strength in yourself that you never ever thought you had! And you will realize how great of a person you are and that there is better out there for you!

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli